The Liars' Club: A Memoir by Mary Karr

The Liars' Club: A Memoir (original 1995; edition 2005)

by Mary Karr

3,205702,614 (3.75)115
Member:nctwila
Title:The Liars' Club: A Memoir
Authors:Mary Karr
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Non-Fiction, Memoir

The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (1995)

English (65)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
I was pleased with the way this memoir came full circle! ( )
  trayceetee | Dec 23, 2018 |
Finally finished this one. It was a great memoir. Mary Karr knows how to tell a story. ( )
  LiteraryW | Mar 19, 2018 |
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into it. I continually flashed back to Glass Castle which has a similar premise but there really is just no comparison. Moving on. ( )
  she_climber | Jan 7, 2018 |
I loved this book and I don't usually go for memoirs, especially ones claiming dysfunctional childhoods on the jacket, but this was a rare exception. Very well written, excellently paced, witty and sarcastic and ironic made this enjoyable to read and made uncomfortable subjects bearable, even comical. I'd love to read more by Karr and I'd love to see her write fiction (if she hasn't already). Overall great read, easy 5-star rating and I don't give those out liberally but this was well deserving. I'd recommend this book to anyone...it was an excellent, quick read. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
It's hard to give a writer this gifted two stars, and as a writer myself I am very sensitive to the subjective nature of the way we, as readers, receive the books we read. This woman is an exceptionally gifted writer--not because her prose is lapidary, but because it's honest, it's candid, it's anything but purple. She was a remarkable little girl and clearly turned into a remarkable woman. My quibble is with the structure. There were so many dead ends here for me, personally, that at, what 280 pages, it felt bloated. Unlike other readers, I am not convinced it was a tapestry woven just so in order to reveal the mother's hidden heartache at the end. If anything, the ending felt rushed, tacked on, after so much time spent on barroom fights and childhood battles with her sister. I was also intensely disturbed by the two horrific scenes of sexual abuse--both of which were told better than any account of sexual abuse I've ever read--and by the fact that these events were picked up and left behind. I'd absolutely read Karr's other books, but structurally, this one felt too undisciplined (and I used the word "felt" intentionally here because I have no doubt she, as an author, made deliberate craft choices here) for me to really like it. ( )
1 vote bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |

Has as a reference guide/companion

My sharpest memory is of a single instant surrounded by dark.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143035746, Paperback)

In this funny, razor-edged memoir, Mary Karr, a prize-winning poet and critic, looks back at her upbringing in a swampy East Texas refinery town with a volatile, defiantly loving family. She recalls her painter mother, seven times married, whose outlaw spirit could tip into psychosis; a fist-swinging father who spun tales with his cronies--dubbed the Liars' Club; and a neighborhood rape when she was eight. An inheritance was squandered, endless bottles emptied, and guns leveled at the deserving and undeserving. With a raw authenticity stripped of self-pity and a poet's eye for the lyrical detail, Karr shows us a "terrific family of liars and drunks ... redeemed by a slow unearthing of truth."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

The author, a poet, recounts her difficult childhood growing up in a Texas oil town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible