Flying Forts: The B-17 in World War II by…

Flying Forts: The B-17 in World War II (1968)

by Martin Caidin

Elevenses (194)

Fantastic! This is the book that really cemented my interest in B-17 Flying Fortresses and the men who flew them. ( )
  B-17Dave | Nov 9, 2010 |
I read this book when I was a kid and just reread it. I remember being enthralled by it as a teenager; as an adult, I enjoyed re-reading it, but I wouldn't say I was quite as enthralled the second time around.

As history books go, Flying Forts is the equivalent of a good beach read, and that's not a bad thing. It's a fun, easy read (with its share of pot-boiler prose, I have to say). You'll need to look elsewhere for a strategic analysis of the Allied bombing campaigns and their effectiveness. But if you want to know what it was like to swing a .50 caliber machine gun at the open window of the waist position of a B-17 in 40 degree-below weather, fighting for your life and the lives of your crew mates, this is your book. ( )
  dwieringa | May 28, 2010 |
A classic of its type: A detailed history of the origins, design, development, and operations of the famous Boeing B-17 bomber of WWII. I haven't read this in years, but remember reading it multiple times as a teenager in the 1970s and being enthralled every time. ( )
1 vote ABVR | Aug 22, 2006 |
This book is for BILL COLEMAN Lt. Colonel, USAF who flew one of the Little Friends
Far beneath the lone Flying Fortess the islands of the northern Solomons lay rich and green against the backdrop of the Pacific.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055328780X, Mass Market Paperback)

mass market paperback

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

1 avail.1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible