The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

The Mayor of Casterbridge (original 1886; edition 2008)

by Thomas Hardy, Elliot Perlman (Introduction)

Member:arukiyomi
Title:The Mayor of Casterbridge
Authors:Thomas Hardy
Other authors:Elliot Perlman (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Finished 2012, 1001 books, Fiction, Your library
Rating:****1/2

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (1886)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe, kxlly)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (kxlly)
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (John_Vaughan)

English (66)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (68)
after reading Tess I was intrigued but careful curious. This book moved a long just fine. Lots of story lines. Believable action of characters. Women more independent than in Tess. But again, very very tragic. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I've been wanting to finish this for quite a while and finally did it. What to make of it? It reads to me much like a soap opera with twists and turns of the social variety that prevent final resolution until the very end. However, I liked it. ( )
  aarondesk | Mar 19, 2015 |
Read 03-16-2015
  trexm5qp7 | Mar 17, 2015 |
While the Mayor of Casterbridge full of unlikely coincidence and thematic weightiness, these aspects aren't flaws at all, in my experience--instead they elevate the novel to the high drama of a classical Greek tragedy. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
Oh Mr. Hardy - canst thou ever forgive me for doubting thee?

The book is finished. My heart is sore. In my grief I can't bear to put it back on the bookshelf yet. Let it stay beside me on the bedside cabinet just a little while longer.

How wrong was I in my original assessment of Hardy's prose. I wept whilst reading this book. WEPT! Real tears! And not just once either.

Hardy initially cut to the chase with alarming alacrity, and it almost put me off continuing as I felt he had divulged the plot before I was engrossed enough to care much for the characters. More fool me. That was merely the tip of the iceberg, for the tale that developed was to have more twists and turns than a doorknob.

And the characterisation - oh, like nothing I've read before. Mr. Henchard was the most unpleasant of protagonists - harsh, proud, stubborn, jealous, cold, pompous - yet the whole way through the novel I was rooting for him, willing him on, desperately hoping he'll say the right thing here, do the right thing there. In the same way that my husband's wayward driving compels me to pump an imaginary brake as a passenger, so too Henchard's repeated mistakes had me constantly silently screaming "Stop! Look out! Take care!".

I'm now 5 books into my 50 book target. How I fear the 45 others shall now pale by comparison. ( )
4 vote AlisonY | Jan 24, 2015 |

Thomas Hardyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, WalterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One evening of late summer, before the nineteenth century had reached one-third of its span, a young man and woman, the latter carrying a child, were approaching the large village of Weydon-Priors, in Upper Wessex, on foot.

The Mayor of Casterbridge opens with an act of such heartlessness and cruelty that it still shocks today. Michael Henchard, an out-of-work hay-trusser, gets drunk at a fair and for five guineas sells his wife and child to a sailor. When the horror of his act finally sets in, Henchard swears he will not touch alcohol for twenty-one years. Through hard work and acumen, he becomes rich, respected, and eventually the mayor of Casterbridge. But eighteen years after his fateful oath, his wife and daughter, Elizabeth-Jane, return to Casterbridge, and his fortunes steadily decline.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

On a drunken impulse, Michael Henchard, a hay-trusser by trade, sells his wife Susan and their child to a sailor. Years later, Susan returns to Casterbridge a widow, to seek her legal husband who is, surprisingly, now the Mayor.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439785, 0141045175, 0141199598

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible