Ultimate Visual Dictionary by Jo Evans

Ultimate Visual Dictionary (1994)

by Jo Evans (Editor)

Recently added byPDemille, MaeveKane, hgordy, private library, Max711, Oryphany, pbirkby, Sudarshanjk, thedharmabum51

I was disappointed that there weren't more practical, household items. It's nice to know the parts of dinosaurs and Viking ships, but sometimes I need to know the parts of a toilet or a dishwasher. ( )
  beehappy | Feb 4, 2017 |
A beautiful set of pictures, an ugly and disturbing cover, an explanation of a few things. I thought of winnowing out this book several times when I thought of it as a book of information. When I realized that, for me at least, it is an art book, then I knew I wanted to keep it. ( )
  mykl-s | Mar 6, 2015 |
Group S
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |
35.00
  mbugler | Mar 6, 2011 |
Good—but the subject matter is necessarily limited. ( )
  wktarin | Apr 1, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0789428741, Paperback)

The Ultimate Visual Dictionary certainly lives up to its name. With a broad scope that covers topics as far-reaching as tempura paint, chemical reactions, and the equestrian saddle, this book manages to attain an inclusiveness that will bring a smile to the faces of even the most die-hard researchers. But though its topical range is amazing, The Ultimate Visual Dictionary's real attraction is ultimately its illustrations; containing more than 5,000 photographs and 1,000 detailed visuals connected to 30,000 terms, it provides a link between words and pictures in a way that few other books can or do. The photographs alone will keep any reader entertained for hours, but be warned: the pictures are presented in such a brilliantly clear and distinct fashion that you may start to believe you're aboard the HMS Alacrity or being chased by a full-grown male lion with a wide-open mouth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

Color photographs and detailed text describe more than 50,000 terms and 270 major entries on everything from the prehistoric earth and the sciences to sports, art, and music.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,246,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible