Trifles by Susan Glaspell

Trifles

by Susan Glaspell

I read this play, the short story that was written a year later (A Jury of Her Peers), and an article by Marina Angel about using the two texts in a law class. The play and the story made me feel uncomfortable because of the way women are treated. After reading Angel's article, I was able to really understand and appreciate what a great writer Glaspell was. Every single sentence contributes to the overall message of how disenfranchised women were not that long ago. Angel also points out that a system of justice that was created by men and administered by men is not able to accomodate the different points of view that women will bring to the courtroom. The play and short story are well worth reading if you're willing to invest a little time and effort into really understanding Glaspell's message. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I thought Trifles was a good short and sweet play, a lot happens in it in a brief time. It's like a mini mystery novel that shows how women tend to have a understanding with each other when it comes to marital problems and how men are blind to them. I also love how Minnie, the farmers wife, isn't in the play with dialog, but she feels like the main character and you get to know what she is like and what she went through. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
A very human look at the effects of our cruelty toward one another. This murderess is no monster, but her life of quiet desperation led her to the point of no return. One act of cruelty was all it took. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 24, 2014 |

Written by Susan Glaspell in 1916, Trifles is a one-act play about a woman accused of strangling her husband. Based on an actual murder case reported by Glaspell for the Des Moines News, the play represented an early exploration of gender relationships in a time when women often were considered to be mere trifles. A groundbreaking feminist play, Trifles is often included in anthologies of drama and literature. An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring Jeanie Hackett as Mrs. Peters; Amy Madigan as Mrs. Hale; Sam McMurray as the Sheriff; Steven Vinovich as Mr. Hale; Steven Weber as the County Attorney.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible