Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss

Wacky Wednesday (1974)

by Dr. Seuss

821None11,133 (4.24)1 / 5

It all began with that shoe on the wall. A shoe on a wall . . . ? Shouldn't be there at all!

Then I looked up. And I said, "Oh, MAN!"

And that's how Wacky Wednesday began.

Dr. Seuss both wrote and illustrated his most famous works, but he did create a few books illustrated by others, usually using a pseudonym. He wrote Wacky Wednesday under the name Theo. LeSieg--his own name, Theodore Geisel, turned around. It was illustrated by George Booth.

Wacky Wednesday tells of one Wednesday when everything was wacky: shoes on the wall, bananas growing on an apple tree, worms chasing birds, and much more. Seuss's text is very much secondary to Booth's illustrations. The text of each two-page spread announces the number of things that are 'wacky' in the accompanying illustration, inviting the reader to find them all.

The number of wacky things in each scene increases as the book goes along, culminating in a final two-page spread with twenty wacky things:

"Only twenty things more will be wacky," he said.

"Just find them and then you can go back to bed."

The type of wackiness varies, exercising different skills: counting (how many wacky things have we found?), spelling ('schoul' is not the right way to spell 'school'), domain knowledge (a portrait of Abraham Lincoln should not be labelled 'George Washington'), and simple attention to detail (turtles do not belong atop trees!).

Wacky Wednesday is a great book that encourages participation from the reader. It's appropriate for April Fool's Day or any day.
  Sopoforic | Apr 1, 2014 |
There are two reasons why I liked this book. The first reason is I like how it was written with rhyming patterns. I think this helps the text flow and makes it more appealing to the reader as they are listening to themselves read. For example, one of the pages states, “I looked in the kitchen. I said By cracky! Five more things are very wacky!’ It makes the phrases memorable because they have a rhyme, which makes it easier to recall. The second reason I like this book is that it incorporates numbers. “Only twenty things more will be wacky, he said”. Not only is the student reading a story but also the reader can pause on each page and try to discover how many “wacky” things are happening on the page. I think the big idea of this book is to strengthen students observation skills by trying to point out the number of things that are “wacky” or out of place on the pages. As I mentioned before, I think it also helps with counting. The students see the number word and then have to find the correct the amount. It shows their knowledge of one-to-one correspondence. ( )
  awalls4 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I like this book for two reasons. One, the character in the book is having an "off" day, which many people can relate to, but is also using his imagination to see the wacky things. For instance, he sees a shoe on the wall and a candy cane as a table leg. The people around him are telling him that's not actually happening. I like how the author used the boy's imagination to illustrate that he was having an "off" day. The police officer reminds him that after he counts 20 wacky things, the day will be over and back to normal, which is what happens. Second, I like that the reader has to search for the wacky things in the pictures. Some of them are hard to find, making it an interactive book to read with more than one person searching for what's wrong in the pictures. The main idea of this story is illustrate a "wacky" day in the life of this boy and to provide a fun scavenger hunt on each page, making the book more interactive for readers. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 26, 2013 |
This is not one of my favorite [a:Dr. Seuss|61105|Dr. Seuss|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1193930952p2/61105.jpg] (or [a:Theo LeSieg|398177|Theo LeSieg|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1210787606p2/398177.jpg]) books, but my son (3 1/2) enjoyed it immensely. It's a bit different from the other Dr. Seuss books too, and the wittiness here lies not in the text but in the illustrations that come with it. Already on the first page, something is wrong with the picture. And at each turn of page, you will see more and more "wacky" things. It gets a bit repetitive, shoes turn up in the strangest places, there are "wacky" animals all over the place, heads and legs will be missing, things don't touch the ground ... But, my son laughed so hard at some of them that I couldn't but be smitten.

There's a lot to look for on every page, so it's takes a while to get through the book. And, sure, it can be instructive. Some of the "wrongs" are even somewhat subtle, such as misspellings of words, and different combinations of colors, stars and stripes in the American flag. So, if you're reading for your child, you can have him find the appropriate number of "wrongs" on each page spread. But, it's not a great read-aloud, for having to stop all the time to look for things it's hard to attain a good reading cadence and get the rhymes to flow. It's probably a better book for independent readers, and I know my little guy will be coming back to it soon to read it all by himself. He'll get a kick out of that. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Wacky Wednesday is just about a boy who wakes up one day and sees that thingsare not right around him. Everything is wacky. Every page gives a new number of things that are wrong that the reader is supposed to find.This book allows students the excitment of finding the wacking things as well as counting. ( )
  Mmarcel2011 | Mar 17, 2013 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Booth, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It all began with that shoe on the wall.

A baffled youngster awakens one morning to find everything's out of place, but no one seems to notice! Beginning readers will have fun discovering all the wacky things wrong on each page while sharpening their ability to observe, as well as to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:00 -0400)

Drawings and verse point out the many things that are wrong one wacky Wednesday.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible