Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss

Wacky Wednesday (1974)

by Dr. Seuss

965208,958 (4.27)1 / 9

I can see children really loving how goofy and silly this book is I would definitely recommend it.
  ninaberger | Nov 13, 2015 |
I love "Wacky Wednesday"! Wacky Wednesday is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. It is full of crazy things that would definitely not happen on a normal basis. The book rhymes, has illustrations to complement the words, and is very funny. The first thing I really like is the humor in the book. For example, on the first page it says, "It all began with that show on the wall. A shoe on the wall,,,? Shouldn't be there at all!" Obviously no one usually has a shoe stuck to their wall so this begins the humor of the story. Two pages later, the illustration shows three wacky things outside. There is a bunch of bananas on an apple tree, a sprinkler still working when the hose is cut in half, and a bird running away from a worm. None of these things are realistic, which adds the humor to the story. Next, the illustrations on each page complement the words. For example, one page says, "I went down the hall and I said, "HEY!" Three more things were wacky today!" The picture shows three more wacky things (a door with two knobs, a candy cane as a table leg, and a picture that is upside down. Lastly, I really enjoy the rhyming in the book. All of Dr. Seuss's books rhyme and it just makes the book more fun to read. For example, one page says, "I went out the school door. Things were worse than before. I couldn't believe it. Ten wacky things more!" Rhyming makes the book easier to read and the rhyming on this page heightened my anticipation as to what will happen next.

The big idea/main message of the story is to broaden a child's perspective and elicit their creativity. Obviously these things would not happen on a normal basis, but the things in the book are amusing and it is funny to think if they actually did happen. Dr. Seuss's books are fun for people of all ages. They are easy and fun to read. The make people look at the world in alternative ways, having people wonder if these things really would happen. Creativity is key in these books. ( )
  abecke14 | Oct 12, 2015 |
Wacky Wednesday is a fun and interacting book. I loved reading this book. I loved this book not only because it has rhyming words, like gee and three or school and fool, but I loved how engaging this book was. This book starts out with a shoe being on the wall and then it goes into many wacky things happening. Things like finding a tree in the toilet or a woman with no legs, the reader finds a sense of humor in the reading and allows them to stop reading for a little to find every wacky thing. This gives the reader something to look forward to each page they read. Also, the illustrations in this book is amazing. In order to create these fun games in this book, the illustrator had to have an imagination. For an example, on the page where there are twelve things to spot, the pictures are really done well. I enjoyed how even though the plane is facing backwards, the wind is still being shown blowing. Overall, I think the purpose of this book was to entertain readers. This shows that even though you get to spot the wacky things, there is still reading going on. This book is incorporating the rhyming elements as well as having a fun spotting game for the reader. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Sep 16, 2015 |
Kindergarten- use with Dr. Suess Series
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 17, 2014 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Booth, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It all began with that shoe on the wall.

A baffled youngster awakens one morning to find everything's out of place, but no one seems to notice! Beginning readers will have fun discovering all the wacky things wrong on each page while sharpening their ability to observe, as well as to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:30 -0400)

Drawings and verse point out the many things that are wrong one wacky Wednesday.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible