Wacky Wednesday by Dr. Seuss

Wacky Wednesday (1974)

by Dr. Seuss

8811610,055 (4.27)1 / 5

Level B reader. Great rhyming text that gives hints to look for things that are wrong in the pictures. Will keep beginning readers entertained for a while. ( )
  christylynnbridges | Apr 26, 2014 |
I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating; I have a wonderful independent bookshop just down the hill from where I live. They offer a combination of used, new and special orders. One of the advantages of being a frequent customer is that they have come to know my taste in reading as well as that of my family.

On a recent trip with my daughter, Stephanie recommended to her, Wacky Wednesday by Theo LeSeig. Reprints use his better known nom de plume, Dr. Seuss. But they had just gotten in a well-read first edition. The thing with Stephanie — she's NEVER wrong with her recommendations.

The book opens on a Wednesday morning. Very quickly it's apparent that things are not right. As the day progresses, more and more things are off.

The text gives hints to how many things are wacky in each scene. Some are obvious and some take advantage of optical illusion to hide in plain sight.

The book was an instant hit with both of us. Somehow I had missed it in my childhood. On our first day we read through it twice. We've since read through it many more times. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 19, 2014 |
It all began with that shoe on the wall. A shoe on a wall . . . ? Shouldn't be there at all!

Then I looked up. And I said, "Oh, MAN!"

And that's how Wacky Wednesday began.

Dr. Seuss both wrote and illustrated his most famous works, but he did create a few books illustrated by others, usually using a pseudonym. He wrote Wacky Wednesday under the name Theo. LeSieg--his own name, Theodore Geisel, turned around. It was illustrated by George Booth.

Wacky Wednesday tells of one Wednesday when everything was wacky: shoes on the wall, bananas growing on an apple tree, worms chasing birds, and much more. Seuss's text is very much secondary to Booth's illustrations. The text of each two-page spread announces the number of things that are 'wacky' in the accompanying illustration, inviting the reader to find them all.

The number of wacky things in each scene increases as the book goes along, culminating in a final two-page spread with twenty wacky things:

"Only twenty things more will be wacky," he said.

"Just find them and then you can go back to bed."

The type of wackiness varies, exercising different skills: counting (how many wacky things have we found?), spelling ('schoul' is not the right way to spell 'school'), domain knowledge (a portrait of Abraham Lincoln should not be labelled 'George Washington'), and simple attention to detail (turtles do not belong atop trees!).

Wacky Wednesday is a great book that encourages participation from the reader. It's appropriate for April Fool's Day or any day.
  Sopoforic | Apr 1, 2014 |
There are two reasons why I liked this book. The first reason is I like how it was written with rhyming patterns. I think this helps the text flow and makes it more appealing to the reader as they are listening to themselves read. For example, one of the pages states, “I looked in the kitchen. I said By cracky! Five more things are very wacky!’ It makes the phrases memorable because they have a rhyme, which makes it easier to recall. The second reason I like this book is that it incorporates numbers. “Only twenty things more will be wacky, he said”. Not only is the student reading a story but also the reader can pause on each page and try to discover how many “wacky” things are happening on the page. I think the big idea of this book is to strengthen students observation skills by trying to point out the number of things that are “wacky” or out of place on the pages. As I mentioned before, I think it also helps with counting. The students see the number word and then have to find the correct the amount. It shows their knowledge of one-to-one correspondence. ( )
  awalls4 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I like this book for two reasons. One, the character in the book is having an "off" day, which many people can relate to, but is also using his imagination to see the wacky things. For instance, he sees a shoe on the wall and a candy cane as a table leg. The people around him are telling him that's not actually happening. I like how the author used the boy's imagination to illustrate that he was having an "off" day. The police officer reminds him that after he counts 20 wacky things, the day will be over and back to normal, which is what happens. Second, I like that the reader has to search for the wacky things in the pictures. Some of them are hard to find, making it an interactive book to read with more than one person searching for what's wrong in the pictures. The main idea of this story is illustrate a "wacky" day in the life of this boy and to provide a fun scavenger hunt on each page, making the book more interactive for readers. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 26, 2013 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Booth, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It all began with that shoe on the wall.

A baffled youngster awakens one morning to find everything's out of place, but no one seems to notice! Beginning readers will have fun discovering all the wacky things wrong on each page while sharpening their ability to observe, as well as to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:00 -0400)

Drawings and verse point out the many things that are wrong one wacky Wednesday.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,707,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible