On Caring by Milton Mayeroff
108None111,760 (3.75)None

No reviews
. . . the degree to which I can create relationships which facilitate the growth of others as separate persons is a measure of the growth I have achieved in myself . . .
- CARL R. ROGERS
A man cannot be a true father without being a creator of something, something that he wants to flourish before him rather than to have molded in his image. A true father must be an artist, otherwise he becomes a violator of the creative spirit of man, by trying to mold a child to be exactly the way he the man is . . .
- GREGORY ZILBOORG
The thematic idea, this child or truly creative musicianship, is a live birth and has individual qualities; and in his treatment, shaping, and development of it, its progenitor should have regard for the child's nature, and not proceed in an arbitrary fashion. The true composer does not behave like a tyrant towards his thematic substance; but he watches like a provident father for signs suggestive of individual development, and lets his creative phantasy be fertilized and directed by these.
- BRUNO WALTER
A book takes on its own life in the writing. It has its laws, it becomes a creature to you after a while. One feels a bit like a master who's got a fine animal. Very often I'll feel a certain shame for what I've done with a novel. I won't say it's the novel that's bad; I'll say it's I who was bad. Almost as if the novel did not really belong to me, as if it was something raised by me like a child. I know what's potentially beautiful in my novel, you see. Very often after I've done the novel I realize that that beauty which I recognize in it is not going to be recognized by the reader. I didn't succeed in bringing it out. It's very odd - it's as though I had let the novel down, owed it a duty which I didn't fulfill.
- NORMAN MAILER
I don't want to sound metaphysical, but there arrives a period during the painting when the painting itself makes certain demands, you see, and if you're not hypersensitive to it, you know, you're going to lose a good quality of painting. It definitely becomes a living thing.
- BEN SHAHN
In memory of my Father and Mother
Jacob and Bertha Mayeroff
To care for another person, in the most significant sense, is to help him grow and actualize himself. (Introduction)
In caring as helping the other grow, I experience what I care for (a person, an ideal, an idea) as an extension of myself and at the same time as something separate from me that I respect in its own right.

A philosophy of life in a nutshell, one that has latched on to the most practical, central, and sensible of all activities, human or cosmic.

From back cove: A noted philosopher eplores the meaning and importance of caring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,080,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible