Running on Empty: Contemplative Spirituality…

Running on Empty: Contemplative Spirituality for Overachievers

by Fil Anderson

It's an all too common trap: structuring our life in such a way that we are simply performing for God instead of abiding in God, and then wondering why we struggle. In Running on Empty Fil Anderson give a very personal look at his own struggles with a life lived ostensibly for Christ but in reality devoid of Christ, and his path toward healing.

There are passages in this book that made me think and touched my heart. Unfortunately, the book has some major shortcomings, and could have been much better. The chapters often do not have a coherent flow: a passage will make a point and then the next passage will make a different point, and you're not sure where he is going. Illustrations sometimes seem forced or out of place. There is a chapter that basically outlines the four ancient steps of lectio divinia, but he doesn't actually label them as the four steps in the text. He states that the biblical text "pray without ceasing" can be interpreted "come to rest"--- which is just plain wrong. I actually became frustrated with reading this book, which is rare for me.

I appreciated Mr. Anderson's honesty, but this book contributes little to spirituality literature and has significant shortcomings. Bottom line: not recommended reading. ( )
  wiseasgandalf | Jun 24, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157856834X, Hardcover)

Learn to live with God instead of for God.

Sometimes the only way to get a new life is by running your old one completely into the ground.

Fil Anderson had accomplished more for God than most of his contemporaries, but his worn-out body housed an empty soul. His frenetic pace of ministry had earned him just one thing: greater pressure to do even more. He had fallen for the soul-killing lie that doing more for God would give his life meaning. Then the godly admonition of a spiritual director set this burned-out believer on a life-saving spiritual path.

This powerful story of a reawakened soul can be the story of every person who has pursued spiritual productivity over intimacy with God and come up empty. It’s the story of reclaiming your soul and finding a home in the center of God’s relentless love. It’s the journey from self-importance to God-importance.

The solution is not greater achievements for the kingdom of God. It’s time to stop living for God and start living with God.

In this candid and achingly authentic book, Fil Anderson shares the healing insights that restored his spiritual compass and guided him back to God … the God who specializes in filling empty souls.

“To the harried and the unharried, I pray that this book will minister to your heart in the profound way that it has blessed mine.” —Brennan Manning

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible