Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

What Do You Do, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin

What Do You Do, Dear? (1961)

by Sesyle Joslin

Other authors: Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

What do you do if you're a fearsome pirate making your fine lady captive walk the plank, and she drops her handkerchief? Why pick it up for her, of course! What about if you're being kidnapped from the library by a villain named Bad-Nose Bill? Walk quietly out of the building - obviously! These and other pieces of helpful advise about the proper etiquette are offered here, in this charming, tongue-in-cheek guide to good manners.

Originally published in 1961, What Do You Do, Dear? is the second manners guide created by author Sesyle Joslin and illustrator Maurice Sendak, following upon their earlier What Do You Say, Dear? (1958), which was chosen as a Caldecott Honor Book in 1959. It is a droll exploration of good manners, emphasizing through extraordinary and unusual story-lines, the proper course of conduct, in more mundane times. One presumes, after all, that it isn't bad manners to object, when being kidnapped! Otherwise, of course, quiet in the library is advisable. Recommended to Sendak fans, people who enjoy vintage picture-books (there is some socially outdated material here), or anyone looking for entertaining examinations of etiquette for young children. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 14, 2018 |
An old favorite, with wonderful Maurice Sendak illustrations. Love the use of ridiculous scenarios to illustrate common courtesy and good manners. (Just after taking a big mouthful of pudding, a handsome prince rides up and asks you to be his princess. What do you do, dear? You swallow your pudding before you speak.) ( )
  MerryMary | May 2, 2013 |
One day I at a bookstore I happened upon this book, and it's partner, and I was instantly brought back to my childhood. I had completely forgotten about them, but when I took them up and turned the pages, every picture jumped up as an old friend. I loved Sendak's wonderful illustrations as a kid, and they trigged a lot of thoughts. Needless to say, I bought them both at once. My son has loved them as well. ( )
  isiswardrobe | Jan 8, 2006 |

Joslin, Sesyleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Persson, BorisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This was for Victoria, Alexandra, Julia, and Awich Hine Buff
You are in the library reading a book when suddenly you are lassoed by Bad-Nose Bill.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064431134, Paperback)

This hilarious sequel to award-winning author Sesyle Joslin's What Do You Say, Dear? teaches you what to do when a female polar bear walks into your igloo in a white fur coat? (You help her off with it!) Or what you should do when you meet someone coming the other way on a circus tightrope? Granted, some of the scenarios are a bit unlikely--involving pirates, "cowboys and Indians," princesses, and Robin Hood--but these characters, humorously depicted by Maurice Sendak, are guaranteed to strike a chord with your children. Even though your child may not ever have the chance to pick up a lady's handkerchief or to walk quietly through a library after having been lassoed by a cowboy outlaw, this book, outlining "proper conduct for all occasions," is sure to elicit more than a few giggles. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:06 -0400)

More advice on proper behavior in a variety of social situations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,485,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible