We All Went On Safari by Laurie Krebs

We All Went On Safari

by Laurie Krebs, Julia Cairns (Illustrator)

This is a very colorful book which introduces Kiswahili counting as a group of young people walk through the Tanzanian landscape. It is fun to look at, as the plot is conveyed mainly through the pictures. This book would appeal to very young children who are introduced to the environment portrayed in the pictures. Older children might enjoy using this to learn Kiswahili counting. My eight year old learned her first Kiswahili words with this book. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Join Arusha, Mosi, Tumpe and their Maasai friends as they set out on a counting journey through the grasslands of Tanzania. Along the way, the children encounter all sorts of animals including elephants, lions and monkeys, while counting from one to ten in both English and Swahili. The lively, rhyming text is accompanied by an illustrated guide to counting in Swahili, a map, notes about each of the animals, and interesting facts about Tanzania and the Maasai people.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 13, 2016 |
Good book to learn numbers in both English and Swahili, learn about Africa and the culture there, and different animals found in Africa
  charity_thurman | Jan 29, 2016 |
I thought this was a really good book that I enjoyed reading. I liked this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this book is because it incorporated a different culture, the Tanzanian culture. In the book a group of people go on a safari and count how many animals they see. As they go through their safari the book has the english number written on the bottom corresponding to how many animals they see then the book also includes the number written in Tanzanian. I also thought the illustrations did a really nice job of portraying African culture. For example the characters were wearing traditional African clothes and jewelry. Also African names, unfamiliar to me, were used in the book. For example names such as "Arusha, Mosi, Tumpe, and Mwambe." Readers can learn a lot about African culture through this short picture book. This book also rhymes throughout the story, which is another reason I liked it so much. For example the first page says, "We all went on a safari, when the day had just begun. We spied a lonely leopard. Arusha counted one." The illustrations matched the text perfectly, so when it said they saw one leopard, only one leopard was presented on the page. Readers can easily connect the illustration to the text, that is another reason I really liked the book.
The big message of this book was to share African Culture and bring more multicultural texts to people who may have never learned about African culture. The text primarily discussed counting and showing readers how to say African numbers but through the illustrations readers could see more aspects of the African culture. ( )
  MarkiePowers | Oct 2, 2015 |
This book is about a tribe that went on a Safari together. It is written in two languages which makes it even more interesting. The book also shows a different number of animals on each page. You could incorporate this book into a math lesson as well as a reading lesson and geography lesson. This book shows a lot about the African culture, which is important for students to learn about. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 4, 2015 |

Krebs, LaurieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cairns, JuliaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184148119X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:59 -0400)

Arusha, Mosi, Tumpe and their friends embark on an exciting counting adventure through the grasslands of Tanzania, discovering all different kinds of African animals as they count from one to ten.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible