Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters

Tipping The Velvet (original 1998; edition 2002)

by Sarah Waters

Member:ominogue
Title:Tipping The Velvet
Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Virago (2002), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, Welsh fiction, Published in 2002, Published in the 2000s, Published in the 21st century, England, London, historical fiction, Read in 2013, Read in Belfast, Bought in 2013

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (1998)

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (zembla)
    zembla: A lush, atmospheric Victorian love story between two young women.
    Affinity by Sarah Waters (Booksloth)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (_debbie_)
    _debbie_: Both are (at least partially) historical novels with strong themes of identity, coming of age, and going against the mainstream to stay true to what you feel is right. Although one is set in Victorian England and the other isn't, they both have that same feel of rich language and descriptive place.… (more)
    Moll Cutpurse, Her True History by Ellen Galford (CurrerBell)

English (105)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (112)
Sometimes I get the urge to revisit Nancy and Florence. Every re-read is the same: I dread the middle portion of the book but enjoy the first part and love the final part enough to keep going. I don't know why I can't just give myself permission to skip to the parts I want, but I can't.

The end makes it all worthwhile. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
  TheIdleWoman | Jun 26, 2016 |
This was a re-read... it was the first Waters novel I'd read, and I read it because I saw (and loved) the film. But elements of the film and the book were getting a bit confused in my head, plus I'd run out of books by Waters to read, so I thought I'd read this one again.
It's really an excellent book - it's both a convincing and touching narrative of a young woman's path to maturity and a true understanding of love, and an exciting tour through 19th-century London's demimonde. Erotic without being gratuitous, it's got scenes and characters that will stick with you for years. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
how funny that i didn't like this book the first time i read it. (in my memory it wasn't even the 2 stars i gave it below.) and especially that i didn't like her writing, which is clearly just so good. more than anything i'm impressed by her writing and really wonder what i was thinking that i didn't like it before. the characters i wasn't taken with this time, either, but the writing was so good that i didn't care. this time around, i was also pretty fascinated with the time period and atmosphere that she created. i wasn't excited about part 2 of the story, but did find myself compulsively reading this throughout. and i was pretty taken by the story in part 1 and much of part 3. in spite of not liking part 2 as much, i definitely enjoyed this from start to nearly finish (i'm a little unsatisfied with the final confrontation between kitty and nancy), and have no idea what i could have been thinking last time I read this. and also, wow - how incredibly bold to name her first ever published book this. i'm pretty blown away by that alone.

when sitting thigh-to-thigh with her crush: "Kitty still smiled. Then she half-rose to reach a pepper castor; and when she sat again she drew her feet beneath her chair, and I felt my thigh grow cool."

"But there was something very appealing about that Fe-Male. I saw myself in it - in the hyphen."

(3.75 stars)

from nov 2008: i did find this book compelling, but i really can't attribute that to the characters or the writing. the writing was definitely average or slightly better, but if this story was about heterosexual people, i'm quite sure i wouldn't like it. i read very few books with alternative sexual orientation/gender characters, that i was drawn in for that reason alone. but if i'm being honest about the quality of it, it can't get more than 2 stars. i did like hearing about being lesbian in victorian london as i knew nothing about that before. (2 stars) ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jan 29, 2016 |
A tour de force ( )
  sianpr | Dec 13, 2015 |

Sarah Watersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dabekaussen, EugèneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maters, TillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Have you ever tasted a Whitstable oyster?
"Dreams," I said. He snapped his fingers. "The very stuff that stages are made of."
"In short, Nance, even was you going to the very devil himself, your mother and I would rather see you fly from us in joy, than stay with us in sorrow - and grow, maybe, to hate us, for keeping you from your fate."
Please do not combine Tipping the Velvet the novel with Tipping the Velvet the DVD.
Piercing the shadows of the naked stage was a single shaft of rosy limelight, and in the centre of this was a girl: the most marvellous girl - I knew it at once! - that I had ever seen. A saucy, sensuous and multi-layered historical romance, Tipping the Velvet follows the glittering career of Nan King - oyster girl turned music-hall star turned rent boy turned East End 'tom'.

Nancy Astley, a fishmonger in Whitstable, becomes smitten by male impersonator Kitty Butler and attends shows until the star notices her, which leads to the two becoming partners in romance and performance until societal pressures drive the two into situations that embrace the ambiguity of sexual preference and gender roles.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,488,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible