The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver

The Cold Moon (2006)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (7)

English (40)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (42)
An excellent installment in the Lincoln Rhymes series, this suspenseful mystery is chock full of unexpected twists and turns, and even a cliffhanger at the end. The sinister and brilliant criminal, The Clockmaker, is one I look forward to hearing about again. ( )
  hemlokgang | Sep 20, 2017 |
Deaver writes complicated plots with characters that you can keep up with. This book is no exception.

The Watchmakers gives the appearance of a psychotic mind strinking out with no set pattern except violent and bizarre murders. The link is a clock that he leaves at each scene as a calling card.

Rhyme and Sachs are once again called to solve this inhuman and strange mystery. The wrench in the plans is Sachs takes on a case of her own which pulls her from a dedicated focus on the Watchmaker. Can she pull both off?

Each case has enough strangeness but there are some really sharp left turns in the information and people involved. Some of the information deals with Sachs' father and his time as a policeman. There has been some shade cast on him and his service and this adds to the Sachs' distraction from both cases.

Detailed analysis is the key, just like in all Rhyme's cases. Without it the threads are just knots in the fabric of these mysteries.

Very enjoyable. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
"The Cold Moon" it seems that Amelia Sachs, Rhyme's key investigator, and Rhyme must match wits with the Watchmaker, a killer that leaves a clock with each victim. In the course of the investigation, we discover that the killer purchased ten clocks leading the investigators to conclude that there is to be ten victims, not a pleasant thought given the killer's taste for suffering.

Once again, there are multiple layers that continue to build up to the very end. He also continues developing the personal relationship between Sachs and Rhyme and addresses the conflict they have between their personal and professional lives. All the familiar characters make an appearance and a few are even added. It all combines to make a great thriller that will entertain you. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Another good read from Jeffrey Deaver in which Kathryn Dance is introduced to the Lincoln Rhyme team.

As with other Deaver novels just when you think that the conclusion has arrived there is a new twist on the next page. It could be argued that these 'twists' drag out the story, however, Deaver includes them and makes the twist an integral part of the story.

I look forward to reading the next two books in the Kathryn Dance series. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is the first book by Jeffery Deaver that I have read. I found the story of the watchmaker very interesting and did not expect all the twists and turns which made for an interesting read. I'm now going to go back and read the beginning of the series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shale, KerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You can't see me, but I'm always present.
Run as fast as you can, but you'll never escape me.
Fight me with all your strength, but you'll never defeat me.
I kill when I wish, but can never be brought to justice, Who am I?
-Old Man Time.
Time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life. -William Faulkner
"How long did it take them to die?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:35 -0400)

On a frigid December night, an eerie pattern emerges from two equally brutal murder scenes, where a killer's calling card is a moon-faced clock that seemingly ticked away the victims' last moments. From his wheelchair, criminologist Lincoln Rhyme tracks the Watchmaker, a time-obsessed genius. With every passing second, the Watchmaker is moving with razor-sharp precision to his next act of perfectly orchestrated violence -- and Rhyme can't afford to have his trusted partner, Amelia Sachs, distracted by a daunting homicide case of her own. Up against a brilliant madman, Rhyme and Sachs are locked in a blood-chilling race with their deadliest enemy: time itself...… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible