The Radioactive Redhead by John Zakour

The Radioactive Redhead

by John Zakour, Lawrence Ganem (Author)

In the third book of the series Zach Johnson, Earth's last freelance private detective, latest case involves protecting a pop star and trying to survive a reality show based on trying to kill him.
I had a harder time getting into this one, the story seemed slight and felt a bit forced and I figured out most of what was going on pretty much from the beginning. I didn't hate reading it but it didn't have the same zip and freshness the first two did and I can't quite put my finger on why, though part of it may be that to me at least the music industry is so insane it's sort of hard to poke fun of it these days without coming across as cliched.
I didn't find it a waste of time to read, but it wasn't as fun as the first two. ( )
  Kellswitch | Nov 26, 2016 |
Please note: I read and reviewed this book in 2007. Copying over review from Amazon.

Overview: It's the not-too-distant future, but the world is a very different place. Reality TV is the preferred entertainment of the masses. Entertainment moguls will go to whatever lengths necessary to procure their next "big" star. Teen pop sensations rise to meteoric heights on their looks and dancing ability - singing talent need not apply. Teen slang is impenetrable to adults . . . wait, that's not so very different, is it?

Well, they have hover-cars. Blasters. Laser knives. How cool is that? Not to mention maid-bots, Kabuki androids and interactive computers that are intelligent enough to be your personal assistant.

Synopsis: Zachary Nixon Johnson is the last practicing private eye in the world and he loves his job - most days. Today, he's not so sure. He accepted an anonymous meet at a Kabuki theatre, only to be attacked upon arrival by the entire Kabuki android cast. In the process, he stops to save a luscious redhead, who we learn is named Sexy Sprockets, a teen pop super star. The next day she contacts him and announces that she needs a bodyguard, that she has received death threats. He agrees to take the case. To make matters worse, HARV - his computerized personal assistant, the most powerful computer in the world - has decided that he wants to "experience" life as a woman. As a long, lean, gorgeous red-head woman who calls herself HARA. Throw in Sexy's three back-up dancers - Missy, Sissy and Lusty, all themselves redheads - and Zach's niece Carol and he is surrounded by redheads. To make matters worse, the Faux network has decided that their new reality TV show will be called "Let's Kill Zach!" and they keep sending assassins after him. Between protecting his client and himself and trying to make peace with his increasingly wrathful girlfriend, Electra Gevada, Zach can't seem to win for losing.

b>Review and Recommendations: Zakour and Ganem are geniuses with the English language and playfully flex and pull at it as much as possible to create some truly awe-inspiring puns and word by-play. This is definitely a book for those who love pulp sci-fi, detective noir or just a fun, well-written novel. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 17, 2013 |
Zachary Nixon Johnson may be the last private detective in the free world. He may have the smartest - and sexiest - computer on earth. He may even have the most beautiful clientele any P.I. has ever had. Mix one super-Sexy rockstar in need of protection, her overly smiley manager, Zach's secretary, a sex-changed computer, and a hoard of killer androids, and what do you get? A case that may be too hot even for Zach's unique talents, and if his earplugs don't last, his brain may just melt!

Another smart and funny outing for Zach and, um... well, HARA.... ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 25, 2009 |
I don't have a great more to say about this novel that I haven't said about its predecessor "The Doomsday Brunette," except that Zakour & Ganem do play up the "media hell" aspect of their world as compared to last book. You'll also be somewhat lost if you don't read the first book, "The Plutonium Blonde." ( )
  Shrike58 | Oct 18, 2006 |
Though still in a "supporting" role, Electra, Zachary Nixon Johnson's fiancée got a bit more to do this time. His AI companion continues to develop personality and power. ( )
  angharad_reads | Feb 23, 2006 |

John Zakourprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ganem, LawrenceAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Prologue - In the early 1700s, after spending close to fifty years studying biblical texts, the father of modern physiscs, Sir Isaac Newton, predicted that the world would end in the year 2060.
He never mentioned anything about a redhead.
If he had, I might have been a little more careful.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756402824, Mass Market Paperback)

It is the year 2057, and the last freelance private detective, partnered with an experimental A.I. named Harv, has a new case to solve involving androids, future tech wizards, out-of-control artificial intelligences, and futuristic mayhem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,598,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible