When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro

When We Were Orphans (original 2000; edition 2005)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Member:justininlondon
Title:When We Were Orphans
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro
Info:Faber and Faber (2005), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:fiction, China, 1930s, 1950s, historical fiction

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro (2000)

English (79)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (81)
As others have said, this isn't considered Kazuo Ishiguro's best novel and I am glad it wasn't the first I read of his.
That said I found it an engaging enough read that didn't move me in the way his other novels had but I was gripped as the novel unfolded and things came to light.
The narrator is a man called Christopher Banks and we first meet him as a child in Shanghai. I liked the idea of the unreliable narrator; at times he does say that maybe he hasn't remembered this quite correctly or just as it was and I found this reassuring as I get cross with narrators who seem to remember things word for word. That said, we do get a lot of detail from his early childhood, as this is crucial to the story. We also meet some other characters and the childhood naivety and trust in some of these is apparent.
For me, the novel was working well until the section in 1937 in Shanghai and the disorientating search through the destroyed buildings on the front line between the Japanese and Chinese; this section had a dream-like quality that I expected him to work through and I am sure the atmosphere here was all deliberate in the exploration of memory and in particular memories from our childhood and how our mind processes these as we get older and how reliable these are.
Isiguro created a character that is complex; he shows warmth and care at different times and inaction and selfishness at others. ( )
  Tifi | May 11, 2014 |
It has taken me a while to finally read this book. But now I finaly have, I must admit that I am a bit disappointed.
I had anticipated something different. Can't tell you exactly what, but not really a book like this.

I think it is slow and redious, making jumps in time back and forth, not really getting forward in the story as it is put on the back cover.
I did not particularly like the main character. I think that he was, like we say here, full of words, but little on deeds. He never really forgot his parent's case, but never really acted on it untill considerable time had passed. When one really wants to find his parents, I should think heaven and earth would be moved to get to the bottom of things.
But... that are just thoughts that kept bothering me while reading the book. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 8, 2014 |
The last few weeks I've been in a reading slump. Not one of the books I was reading really grabbed me, and they took forever for me to get through, because I just did not want to read them. So, I went back to my five-star-list in LibraryThing to see which books I could not put down in the past, and of which of those writers I still had an unread book. What I picked out was 'When We Were Orphans' by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I am very glad I did.
Christopher Banks grew up in Shanghai around 1900, the son of a British couple, his father involved in the opium trade. When his father and mother disappear shortly after each other, he is sent to live in England with his aunt. He vows to become a detective to find his parents. He becomes a succesful detective, and after a long while he returns to China to investigate the disappearances in the 1930s. Shanghai has changed a lot, and Christopher gets caught up in the battles between the Chinese and the Japanese.
Even though this is not thought of as one of Ishiguro's best works, I still enjoyed it very much, and it helped me get out of my reading slump. I could not put down the book. I liked Christopher Banks as a character, because he seemed so human to me. He isn't prefect, far from it, but tries his best to reach his goals and be happy, despite the terrible things going on around him. The setting of Shanghai in the early twentieth century was gripping, the mix of western business men and their families and the big country of China so close by. I loved the book, and give it five out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Mar 26, 2014 |
Ishiguro's best, perhaps because while his narrator gradually reveals the story as in all his books, in this book the narrator is the least aware of the ending from the beginning.

Perhaps I can say that a different way; the narrator, being a detective himself, is looking for the answers throughout the book. He doesn't know yet what the ending is, but at the end is all too aware of the full implications of the story. Whereas, in Ishiguro's other books, the narrator knows the whole story, and almost seems bored with it, but either doesn't fully comprehend the implications him/herself, or (more likely) is deliberately repressing those implications because they're so awful that the narrator wouldn't be able to cope with them. Which seems kinda silly to me, I preferred the detective finding it out then coping with it. ( )
  bradgers | Feb 6, 2014 |
This story spanned childhood to adulthood for Christopher Banks whose parents were kidnapped when he was a child living in China. Christopher became a private investigator and went back to China to search for his parents. I liked the first and last parts of the book but the search was unrealistic. It was based on the idea that his parents were still being held captive in the same place many years later without any information to believe this even though he was a PI. Perhaps the author was making a point about holding onto ideas from childhood but it seemed so obviously wrong that it was not believable to me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 29, 2013 |
When We Were Orphans may well be Ishiguro's most capacious book so far, in part because it stitches together his almost microscopic examination of self-delusion, as it plays out in lost men, with a much larger, often metaphorical look at complacency on a national scale.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Pico Iyer (pay site) (Oct 5, 2000)

To Lorna and Naomi
It was the summer of 1923, the summer I came down from Cambridge, when despite my aunt's wishes that I return to Shropshire, I decided my future lay in the capital and took up a small flat at Number 14b Bedford Gardens in Kensington.

Privatdetektiven Christopher Banks har opklaret talrige sager i det londonske society. Men der er stadig en sag han ikke har kunnet løse. Under sin opvækst i Shanghai forsvandt hans forældre sporløst. Nu, i slutningen af 1930erne på kanten af 2. verdenskrig, indser Banks at han må tilbage til Østen

The novel is about a British man named Christopher Banks who used to live in the Shanghai of colonial China in the early 1900s, but when his father, an opium businessman, and his mother disappear within an interval of a few weeks, Christopher is sent away to live with his aunt in Britain. Christopher vows to become a detective in order to solve the case of his parents' disappearance, and he achieves this goal through ruthless determination. His fame as a private investigator soon spreads, and in the late 1930s he returns to China to solve the most important case of his life. The impression is given that if he solves this case, a world catastrophe will be averted but it is not apparent how. As Christopher pursues his investigation, the boundaries between fact and fantasy begin to evaporate.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375724400, Paperback)

When 9-year-old Christopher Banks's father--a British businessman involved in the opium trade--disappears from the family home in Shanghai, the boy and his friend Akira play at being detectives: "Until in the end, after the chases, fist-fights and gun-battles around the warren-like alleys of the Chinese districts, whatever our variations and elaborations, our narratives would always conclude with a magnificent ceremony held in Jessfield Park, a ceremony that would see us, one after another, step out onto a specially erected stage ... to greet the vast cheering crowds."

But Christopher's mother also disappears, and he is sent to live in England, where he grows up in the years between the world wars to become, he claims, a famous detective. His family's fate continues to haunt him, however, and he sifts through his memories to try to make sense of his loss. Finally, in the late 1930s, he returns to Shanghai to solve the most important case of his life. But as Christopher pursues his investigation, the boundaries between fact and fantasy begin to evaporate. Is the Japanese soldier he meets really Akira? Are his parents really being held in a house in the Chinese district? And who is Mr. Grayson, the British official who seems to be planning an important celebration? "My first question, sir, before anything else, is if you're happy with the choice of Jessfield Park for the ceremony? We will, you see, require substantial space."

In When We Were Orphans Kazuo Ishiguro uses the conventions of crime fiction to create a moving portrait of a troubled mind, and of a man who cannot escape the long shadows cast by childhood trauma. Sherlock Holmes needed only fragments--a muddy shoe, cigarette ash on a sleeve--to make his deductions, but all Christopher has are fading recollections of long-ago events, and for him the truth is much harder to grasp. Ishiguro writes in the first person, but from the beginning there are cracks in Christopher's carefully restrained prose, suggestions that his version of the world may not be the most reliable. Faced with such a narrator, the reader is forced to become a detective too, chasing crumbs of truth through the labyrinth of Christopher's memory.

Ishiguro has never been one for verbal pyrotechnics, but the unruffled surface of this haunting novel only adds to its emotional power. When We Were Orphans is an extraordinary feat of sustained, perfectly controlled imagination, and in Christopher Banks the author has created one of his most memorable characters. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:16 -0400)

Christopher Banks, an English boy who was orphaned after his parents disappeared in Shanghai under suspicious circumstances, returns to Shanghai twenty years later in the hopes of learning what really happened to his parents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible