The Secret Man: The Story of…

The Secret Man: The Story of Watergate's Deep Throat (edition 2005)

by Bob Woodward

In Washington, D.C., where little stays secret for long, the identity of Deep Throat--the mysterious source who helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein break open the Watergate scandal in 1972--remained hidden for 33 years. Now, Woodward tells the story of his long, complex relationship with W. Mark Felt, the enigmatic former No. 2 man in the Federal Bureau of Investigation who helped end the presidency of Richard Nixon.… (more)
Member:ReadingGoddess
Title:The Secret Man: The Story of Watergate's Deep Throat
Authors:Bob Woodward
Info:Simon & Schuster (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages

The Secret Man by Bob Woodward

Recently added byprivate library, devonhs, JackFinn, FlaglerBeachLibrary, MCDR, Rivaton, jwagensveld, 2blackcats, LJK613

Bob Woodward identifica a "Garganta Profunda" como W. Mark Felt. Este hombre le permitió a él y a Carl Bernstein revelar el caso conocido como Watergate que acabó con la renuncia del presidente de Estados Unidos Richard Nixón.
  RicardoMontero | Apr 29, 2020 |
This book reveals the story of how Bob Woodward met this most-famous informant and their relationship pre-, during, and post-Watergate. Many people find the book disappointing in that it doesn't provide many "new revolutions" regarding Deep Throat. However, it's an interesting look at how a chance meeting changed history.

Ultimately this book has the how, not the why. But it does reveal that *human side* of the Deep Throat story, which involved more than just secret meetings and spy tactics. This book is a telling, retelling, and revealing of history from a man who has done his share of reporting on and participating in history. ( )
  little-gidding | Apr 13, 2017 |
I wasn't even in the womb when the Watergate story broke. However, the Judicial committee did pass articles of impeachment on Richard Nixon on my first birthday! Regardless of that, I can't appreciate the effect of Watergate on the people who were around at that time. Still, I do remember growing up, that we would use the term "Deep Throat" in the context of secrets and unknown subjects, without a proper understanding of where the term came from.

I do, however, remember the announcement in 2005 that Mark Felt was Deep Throat. There were only a handful of people who knew his identity - but still, I consider the fact that the secret was kept for so long to be amazing. I suppose more than one alive person can keep a secret in certain situations.

Bob Woodward's book is readable but lacking the fast-paced excitement that "All the President's Men" generated, at least in me. Still, it was fun to read and see all the different theories that people have had over the years and compare them to the real story. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Listened to this book in the car and must admit my mind wandered at times, but I did learn a lot about Watergate and found the information fascinating. ( )
  carolfoisset | Apr 19, 2014 |
The Secret Man provides a summary of the Watergate story, with one important piece of the puzzle finally in place. The background on W. Mark Felt and his relationship with Bob Woodward make it a worthwhile read for anyone interested in the Nixon years. And, of course, Woodward brings his usual highly readable narrative non-fiction style to the proceedings. It's just a shame Felt left it so long to 'out' himself as Deep Throat, because some of his (and Woodward's) recollections are very vague indeed. ( )
  whirled | Jul 23, 2011 |

Bob Woodwardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, Carlmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Westman, NancyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To
Katharine Graham, Ben Bradlee,
and Alice Mayhew
In February 1992, as the 20th anniversary of the Watergate break-in approached, I went to the fortress-like J. Edgar Hoover FBI headquarters building on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,662,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible