About My Sisters by Debra Ginsberg

About My Sisters (2014)

by Debra Ginsberg

About My Sisters by Debra Ginsberg

About My Sisters is a well written, funny, insightful and truthful memoir. It is easily relatable. Anyone with sisters/siblings will be able to relate with the feelings expressed and the stories told.
While Ginsberg's focus is on the relationships between she and her sisters, who have a fifteen year age difference, it is also about their sole brother, their unique parents and the author's son. It reads rather like a novel but I found it so much more enjoyable knowing these are real characters existing in a loving and tightly knit family unit.
Ginsberg writes with deep respect and a fearless honesty. Every story, even those about arguments,is filled with love. She welcomes the reader into her family and makes it a comfortable place to visit. I don't believe that I would comfortable sitting with them during one of their raucous family gatherings but being a fly on the wall would be quite fun.
The book reads quickly and is quite enjoyable. If you like good writing along with a good story you will appreciate this special memoir whether you have sisters or not. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Feb 7, 2014 |
I have no siblings. I have been told, at various times, how lucky I am. Brothers are bullies. Sisters are snots. There’s forced sharing. I’m sure these things are true at some points. My response has always been, “I would have liked a sibling.” I don’t understand the relationships siblings have, which makes me sad. I don’t know what it’s like to grow up in a house with other children, experiencing most of the same things they do. This ignorance is what drew me to About My Sisters, a memoir about growing up with three younger sisters (and a younger brother). I really enjoyed the opportunity to look inside a family that I would consider large and take a glimpse at the inner workings thereof.

Full review: http://libwen.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/about-my-sisters-by-debra-ginsberg/ ( )
  juliayoung | Jan 5, 2011 |
"No one will ever love you like your family!" my mother would scream at me, when I was a little girl, and, secretly, I'd think, How ridiculous. Now, at 47, I know the truth of her words and would add, as a cautionary note, "...and no one will ever drive you as nuts as your family." Ginsberg, then, takes on a big subject in About My Sisters: family relationships. Despite the title, she actually looks at the complex world of both her family of origin (the sisters of the title, a brother, a mom and dad) as well as her extended family (her son, along with various boyfriends and girlfriends of family members). It's in the very ordinariness of the family that the book derives its strength; by the description of the family's day-to-day feuds and fusses, as well as the family's ongoing support and caring, Ginsberg reveals the power of the family in our lives. A reader of About My Sisters will nod as she reads, recognizing, in the pages, her own family chaos, her own family cohesion, whirling and spinning, expanding and contracting, like the universe, like life itself. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
Ginsberg's stories of her life are interesting and nearly addictive. Her love for her family shines through, even when she writes about the hard times. ( )
  AuntieClio | Aug 23, 2009 |
This was a book you really hoped would pull you right in to the story; as though you were part of the family.

I am one of five girls (three boys) and know the magic, drama, discomfort and ownership of belonging when one is part of such a special group.

I really wanted to love the girls - their relationships and bonds. I wonder if I had read Ginsbergs first two books if I would have felt some warmth and likeability. I don't think she went deep enough in this book.

Often times in families we have shared stories and history that no one else is allowed to have a part. I felt like I was standing outside, trying my best to belong. ( )
  msimelda | Jan 10, 2009 |
"Four thin girls standing in the rain.

'Are we living or are we dead?'

Four weary souls, they complain,

'We are dissatisfied, we are well-bred.' "
For my sisters,

and for our mother
Maya stands in our kitchen wielding a spatula.

Like many women, Debra Ginsberg shares a special bond with her three sisters. As their free-spirited parents traveled the world, Debra, the eldest of five children, formed deep and unbreakable ties with Maya, Lavander, and D'eja that last to this day. Ginsberg examines these bonds through a prism of events that occur over the course of one year: birthdays, breakups, career changes, holidays, pain, and joy.

About My Sisters reveals no only the shared experience of being part of an unusual family but also a unique and fascinating relationship that has weathers many storms. Now in their twenties, thirties, and forties, the four sisters (as well as their parents and brother) still live within ten miles of one another. This is their story -- a candid, funny, and heartwarming look at a family that's much like the one we all wish we had.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060522038, Paperback)

On the heels of her poignant and critically acclaimed memoirs, Waiting and Raising Blaze, Debra Ginsberg explores the unique connection she shares with her three sisters.

In About My Sisters, Ginsberg examines the special bond she shares with her three sisters, May, Lavander and Deja. As her hippie parents criss-crossed the globe, Debra, the oldest of five children, formed indelible bonds with her three sisters that last to this day. Separated by fifteen years among them, Debra and her sisters represent two different generations, each one of them having something to teach the other. Debra and Maya (the next oldest) became not only babysitters, but also playmates, problem solvers, teachers and surrogate mothers to the youngest two. And the shared experience of being the children of an unconventional, dope-smoking, non-career oriented, nomadic couple bonded them even more.

Structured around the course of one year, About My Sisters examines these bonds through the prism of the events of that year, revealing not only a "different" family, but also a unique and amazing relationship that has weathered many storms but never foundered. The four sisters (as well as their parents and brother) still live within ten miles of one another and share meals, holidays, joys, pains, and babysitting duties with an astounding frequency. This is a heart-warming, funny, and poignant look at a family that's much like the one we all wish we had..

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

"The story of Sarah - and of history itself - begins in the cradle of civilization: the Sumerian city-state of Ur, a land of desert heat, towering gardens, and immense wealth. The daughter of a powerful lord, Sarah is raised in great luxury, but balks at the arranged marriage her father has planned for her. The groom is handsome and a nobleman, but on their wedding day, Sarah panics and impulsively flees to the vast, empty marshes outside the city walls. There she meets a young man, Abram, a member of a nomadic tribe of outsiders. Drawn to this exotic stranger, Sarah spends the night with him, but reluctantly returns to her father's house. But on her return, still desperate to avoid another wedding, she drinks a poisonous potion that will make her barren and thus unfit for marriage.". "Many years later, Abram's people return to Ur, and he discovers that the lost, rebellious girl from the marsh has been transformed into the most splendid and revered woman in Sumeria - the high priestess of the goddess Ishtar. But the memory of their night together has always haunted Sarah, and she gives up her exalted life to join Abram's tribe and follow the one true God, an invisible deity who speaks only to Abram. It is then that her journey truly begins - a journey that holds the key to her remarkable destiny as the mother of nations." "From the great ziggurat of Ishtar and the fertile valleys of Canaan to the bedchamber of the mighty Pharaoh himself, Sarah's story reveals an ancient world full of beauty, intrigue, and miracles."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Debra Ginsberg is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible