George Washington's Teeth by Deborah…

George Washington's Teeth (edition 2007)

by Deborah Chandra, Brock Cole (Illustrator), Madeleine Comora

Member:dbcollin
Title:George Washington's Teeth
Authors:Deborah Chandra
Other authors:Brock Cole (Illustrator), Madeleine Comora
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:nonfiction, George Washington, teeth, rhyming, rotten, dentist, American Revolution, tooth, decay, gr. k-3

George Washington's Teeth by Deborah Chandra

Reading Level: Intermediate
Genre: Biography
Summary: This book focuses on George Washington and the struggles he had with his teeth. Throughout the war and the different battles he lost several teeth, and this book counts each tooth and how it was lost. Readers learn about Washington and how the war affected him personally and physically. It is important and interesting for students to learn more in depth about the leaders of our country as well as the American Revolution. This book also solves the mystery and myth that so many people are told about Washington and his wooden teeth.
  rdg301library | May 27, 2014 |
I liked this book. I liked the plot of this book because I did not know George Washington lost all of his teeth. I also like the timeline in the back of the book that showed exactly when and where he lost all of his teeth. I thought that was very cool. The big idea of this book is to treasure what you have because it can be gone the next day. ( )
  lpicke2 | May 6, 2014 |
A humorous and factual account of George Washington's life long struggle with his teeth, woven together with many useful and important facts about the life and career of America's first General and first President. ( )
  jpmeehan | Jan 30, 2014 |
Summary: In this book it tells how George Washington not only battle in war, he also battled toothaches. All through war he had problems with his teeth. He didn’t want the men to know because they would laugh at him. He lost all but 10 teeth. After eating nuts he then had 9. When crossing Delaware two more came out. After all the wars were over he only had 5. After a ball, he only had 2. After all was said and done he had none. The dentist then carved him some new teeth. George was so happy.

Personal Reaction: I loved this book. I think it is a great and fun read. I think books like this are very interesting. I love how it’s a biography about something serious and funny at the same time.

Classroom Extension: I think this would be a great way to learn about wars and about George Washington. I think this book makes something serious into humor and I love that authors can do that. This would be a great book to use on history lessons.
  TSmith23 | Nov 12, 2013 |
This book tells a funny story about what happened George Washington's teeth. Great funny story for children in a history class. ( )
  dmiller504 | Sep 17, 2013 |

Deborah Chandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Comora, Madeleinemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312376049, Paperback)

The creators of George Washington's Teeth unhinge the jaws of history to examine the mouth of America's first president, tracking the poor man's dental woes as he gallops to war, crosses the Delaware, and, with only two teeth left, takes his place as leader of the country. Washington was plagued by black, rotting teeth from the time he was 22, losing about one a year until he was nearly "toofless" and had to have his first dentures made from a hippotamus tusk (that's right, not wood!). Poets Deborah Chandra and Madeleine Comora begin their quirky historical tale at a lively clip: "The Revolutionary War/ George hoped would soon be won,/ But another battle with his teeth/ Had only just begun..." Indeed. Evidently he was losing teeth even as he crossed the Delaware: "George crossed the icy Delaware/ With nine teeth in his mouth./ In that cold and pitchy dark,/ Two more teeth came out!" (Cleverly, illustrator Brock Cole mimics Emanuel Leutze's famous painting "Washington Crossing the Delaware," making Washington seem more uncomfortably tight-lipped than dignified.) The story ends happily ever after with the crafting of a nice new pair of ivory false teeth that allow George to dance around the ballroom through the night. Truth be told, however, he would be deeply troubled by his teeth until the day he died. A four-page, illustrated historic timeline of Washington's life (and mouth) completes this carefully researched, very funny, charmingly illustrated picture book that works to humanize a larger-than-life historical figure and in turn, history itself. Brilliant! (Ages 7 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:31 -0400)

A rollicking rhyme portrays George Washington's lifelong struggle with bad teeth. A timeline taken from diary entries and other nonfiction sources follows.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,728,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible