July, July by Tim O'Brien

Member:chuckyxchess
Title:July, July
Authors:Tim O'Brien
Info:Penguin Books (2003), Paperback, 320 pages

July, July by Tim O'Brien (2002)

This was a fun, easy read. It was reminiscent of one of O'brien's other books: The Things They Carried, with pieces of the Vietnam War wrapped into it.

This is the tale of a thirty (one) year college reunion, and focuses on a group of friends. The friends are all now in their fifties, and many are divorced, parents, cancer or other kinds of survivors. The characters in the story are not 100% good. Meaning, I don't necessarily want to be any of their friends, but they seem real. They are struggling to survive what it is to get older, have dreams change.

Very interesting read I would heartily recommend. ( )
  csweder | Jul 7, 2015 |

Very interesting read I would heartily recommend.

Something that didn't hit me til page 295: do colleges have reunions? High school sure....but college? ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book, a look at people. It was real. ( )
  annoutwest | Jul 24, 2013 |
I did not enjoy this book at all. All of the characters were bitter and few of them had any likable qualities. I thought it was boring and had to force myself to read it. ( )
  tahoegirl | Jul 26, 2012 |
Tim O'Brien's novel July, July is a subtle and sensitive work of pathos, humor, and humanity. It is the year 2000, and alumni of a 1969 college class have gathered for their 30th reunion -- held a year late due to disorganization of the classmate who scheduled the event. The novel traces their interactions during the long reunion weekend, interspersed with flashbacks to past events that formed each of the characters.

The individual characters are distinct and well drawn, and their histories (as recounted through the flashbacks) range from amusing to quirky to tragic. O'Brien is an excellent writer, and a master of understatement. He can say in a small phrase what might take another writer several pages to overexplain; indeed there are a few phrases in the book that haunted me for weeks after finishing it. Likewise, the characters are memorable -- I still smile at recalling some, as if they were personal friends. I recommend this novel highly, and expect that I shall read it again.

I find a few of the LT reviews of this novel inexplicable. Two reviewers blame the book for being like the movie The Big Chill, a film that has virtually nothing in common with this book other than the fact that in each case, old college friends gather years after graduation. Another self- appointed critic offers a puerile rant against "navel-gazing" (sic) "flower children". Perhaps he confused this book with something else he's read, since in July, July there's not a "flower child" in the group (after all, one's a wounded Vietnam War veteran, another an expatriate who moves to Canada, another a dyed-in the wool Republican, another an overweight corporate executive, and so on).

For the mature reader able to take this book on its own terms (and not to bring to it the baggage of petty resentments and false expectations), July, July offers a wonderful reading experience... subtle, understated, sensitive, wistful, and satisfying. I am glad I stumbled on this book, and plan to seek out other novels by this talented author. ( )
4 vote danielx | Sep 6, 2010 |
With thanks to Larry Cooper, Janet Silver, Wendy Strothman, Clay Harper, Meredith O'Brien, Les Ramirez, Nader Darehshori, Adrienne Miller, Bill Buford, Tim Waller, and the Roy F. and Joann Cole Mitte Foundation.
The reunion dance had started only an hour ago, but already a good many of the dancers were tipsy, and most others were well along, and now the gossip was flowing and confessions were under way and old flames were being extinguished and rekindled under cardboard stars in the Darton Hall College gymnasium.

July, July is set in 2000, and members of the Darton Hall College class of 1969 are gathered, one year behind schedule, for their 30th reunion. Focusing on a dozen characters and life's pivotal moments rather than on a linear plot, O'Brien follows the ensemble cast (which includes a Vietnam vet, a draft dodger, a minister, a bigamous housewife and a manufacturer of mops) for whom "the world had whittled itself down to now or never," as they drink, flirt and reminisce. Interspersed are tales of other moments when each character experienced something that changed him or her forever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142003387, Paperback)

As he did with In the Lake of the Woods, National Book Award winner Tim O'Brien strikes at the emotional nerve center of our lives with this ambitious, compassionate, and terrifically compelling new novel that tells the remarkable story of the generation molded and defined by the 1960s. At the thirtieth anniversary of Minnesota's Darton Hall College class of 1969, ten old friends reassemble for a July weekend of dancing, drinking, flirting, reminiscing, and regretting. The three decades since their graduation have seen marriage and divorce, children and careers, dreams deferred and disappointed-many memories and many ghosts. Together their individual stories create a portrait of a generation launched into adulthood at the moment when their country, too, lost its innocence. Imbued with his signature themes of passion, memory, and yearning, July, July is Tim O'Brien's most fully realized work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

At the thirtieth reunion of Minnesota's Darton Hall College class of 1969, ten old friends join their classmates for a July weekend of dancing, drinking, flirting, reminiscing, regretting. The three decades since their graduation have seen marriage and divorce, children and careers, hopes deferred and abandoned.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,008,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible