Love by Toni Morrison

Love (2003)

by Toni Morrison

Recently added byreg09, A.Bloom, private library, AFDFIM, rainierstranger, doryfish, badube, Wordbrarian, sjgoldben

English (24)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (26)
Halfway through I was about the throw in the towel on this one. I couldn't keep the characters straight. Mother, daughter, wife, husband, son? No idea. I was feeling like my comprehension skills were slipping, or maybe that Toni Morrison is really just too smart for me. And then everything suddenly became crystal clear, both who is who and why things were so confusing to begin with and everything just seems to fall into place. This book had one of the most satisfying endings, masterfully stitching the whole story together. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
I found this book a little slow to get hooked into but as the characters grew so did my enjoyment. It was well worth persisting. ( )
  HelenBaker | Mar 12, 2018 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/12728938 ( )
  Nataliec7 | Jan 5, 2015 |
This beautiful, heart-wrenching book seemed just a little uneven to me. The story spans decades from the forties to the nineties, leaving the eighties out, thankfully, and most of the seventies and touching on the thirties too. The characters are fully-realized, flawed human beings with beauty in their souls that they cannot find for most of their lives, but the reader can see it sometimes. It revolves around a wealthy man who owns a beach resort for black people at a time when businesses in the South were segregated. They have Fats Waller performing and fine dining and elegant people in the early days, but during the civil rights era, business declines and eventually it closes. A ton of women orbit this man, his daughter-in-law, his grandaughter, his second wife, the hotel cook and the receptionist and his favorite prostitute. The book is really about the women, how they fight over him and the eventual bequest of his property at the cost of their own relationships with each other. It is about friendship and love, all different kinds of love, some sublime and some sordid. My only quarrel with it was I felt that Morrison sped through one woman's story too fast only giving a cursory glance at the whole civil rights era. This part felt rushed or over-edited. It either needed to be more subtly shown, upon with that light Toni Morrison touch, or more fleshed out. The way it reads is like an over-long tangential distraction, not meaty enough to sink my teeth into, but too long to follow without more explanation. On the whole another remarkably luscious book. ( )
  kylekatz | Sep 12, 2013 |
While reading this novel about the lives surrounding one Mr. Bill Cosey, I kept wanting to call him Cosby. ( )
  katemo | May 16, 2013 |

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hewgill, JodyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Gert Jan deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woman's legs are spread wide open, so I hum.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375409440, Hardcover)

The first page of Toni Morrison's novel Love is a soft introduction to a narrator who pulls you in with her version of a tale of the ocean-side community of Up Beach, a once popular ocean resort. Morrison introduces an enclave of people who react to one man--Bill Cosey--and to each other as they tell of his affect on generations of characters living in the seaside community. One clear truth here, told time and again, is how folks love and hate each other and the myriad ways it's manifested; these versions of humanity are seen in almost every line. Monsters and ghosts creep into young girls' dreams and around corners and then return to staid ladies' lives as they age and remember friendships and cold battles. Men and women--Heed, Romen, Junior, Christine, Celestial, and the rest of Morrison's cast--cry and sing out their weaknesses and strengths in rotating perspectives. Sandler, a Cosey employee, is a brilliant agent of Morrison's descriptions of human behavior, "Then, in a sudden shift of subject that children and heavy drinkers enjoy, 'My son, Billy was about your age. When he died, I mean.'" And Romen is allowed to play hero by saving a young girl from a brutal gang rape, while at the same time, he battles disgust like no superhuman would be caught dead feeling.

Though slim in pages, Morrison constructs Love with a precision and elegance that shows her characters' flaws and fears with brutal accuracy. Love may be less complex than others in the grand Morrison oeuvre, but not because Morrison performs literary hand-holding. Readers will experience in this smooth, sharp-eyed gem another instance of the Toni Morrison craftsmanship: she enters your mind, hangs a tale or two there, and leaves just as quietly as she came. --E. Brooke Gilbert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

"May, Christine, Heed, Junior, Vida - even L: all women obsessed with Bill Cosey. The wealthy owner of the famous Cosey's Hotel and Resort, he shapes their yearnings for father, husband, lover, guardian, and friend, yearnings that dominate the lives of these women long after his death. Yet while he is either the void in, or the center of, their stories, he himself is driven by secret forces - a troubles past and a spellbinding woman named Celestial." "This audacious exploration into the nature of love - its appetite, its sublime possession, its dread - is rich in characters, striking scenes, and a profound understanding of how alive the past can be."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,156,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible