Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen

Mariette in Ecstasy (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Ron Hansen

In a convent in upstate New York in 1906, a beautiful young postulant shocks the members of her convent when she suddenly manifests signs of the stigmata.
Member:sullijo
Title:Mariette in Ecstasy
Authors:Ron Hansen
Info:Harper Perennial (1992), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:@office, fiction, religious life, Catholic literature, monasticism

Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen (1991)

An attractive seventeen-year-old girl enters a convent in upstate New York. Mariette is full of passion and devotion - but soon she begins to experience the stigmata - bleeding from her hands, feet and side.

She’s met with suspicion and envy by some sisters - others are inspired and want to share in the experience. Their priest is trying to find out if the stigmata is real or self-inflicted.

A fascinating novel - written with restraint in sparse prose. We don’t know quite what to make of Mariette, saint and sinner, yes - but a fraud? Ron Hansen keeps the reader in suspense and brilliantly portrays the underlining tensions in the convent - tension between devotion and fanaticism, humility and pride, secrecy and confession. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Feb 14, 2016 |
This is an odd book. Strangely compelling. The language is simply beautiful. But I am full of doubt at the end, and I don't think I will recommend it. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 10, 2016 |
fascinating book about a nun ( )
  lindaspangler | Jun 11, 2015 |
This ground has been covered before: Young nun exhibits what may be the stigmata and everybody freaks out.

Read the rest of my review at my blog: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-offer-some-quick-hits-on-recent-read... ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Jun 3, 2012 |
The format of this novel was interesting, framing Mariette's story arc with the unofficial investigation into her stigmata. The secondary characters really make this novel what it is; each is a complete, intriguing individual, however short her or his time on the page. ( )
  KLmesoftly | Oct 27, 2010 |
But a palette so intentionally limited requires great patience of the reader, and the obsessive nature of the story tends to tax endurance even further. The book's ultimate effect is beautiful, but bleakly so. I found myself wishing Hansen would cut to the chase - or, at least, to a more accessible world, like the ones he created for the James Gang and the Dalton Boys.
added by timspalding | editSeattle Times, Adam Woog (Jan 26, 1992)

With "Mariette in Ecstasy," Mr. Hansen has written an astonishingly deft and provocative novel.

The finale is a stunner that takes the novel out of its absorbing period setting, leaping into a world we know to be our own and making it impossible to read the book as something that takes place safely long ago and far away, something that's simply foreign.

In this quiet and forceful study of religious passion, Hansen … places an extraordinary spiritual experience in the center of a deftly evoked natural world, namely, rural upstate New York just after the turn of the century.
added by timspalding | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 3, 1991)

Hansen sets Mariette's preternatural experiences against the rhythms of priory life and the all-encompassing rhythms of the natural world. He is particularly good at dramatizing the central tension of priory life: the nuns' need for mutual affection, ruled impermissible because it distracts from their ``grandest passion,'' Jesus Christ.
added by timspalding | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 15, 1991)

to my mother, Marvyl
Half-moon and a wrack of gray clouds.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,821,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible