The New Girl by R. L. Stine

The New Girl (1989)

by R. L. Stine

High school athlete Cory Brooks finds himself stretched on the rack of young romance, especially when he discovers his beloved, Anna Corwin, is really dead.
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
Her name is Anna, a beautiful outgoing girl that captivates 16 year old Cory Brooks' attention immediately when he sees her in school. Soon, she's all he can think about. His grades start slipping, he stops showing up for gymnastics practice, he neglects his other friendships. But something is odd about Anna. She's not around much, and she's almost impossible to get a hold of after school. He tries to visit her house, but the only person there is her brother... who claims that Anna is dead!

The New Girl is a suspenseful, page-turning, quick read that keeps the readers' attention throughout but is mostly a let-down. I would have given it a lower rating if it wasn't as entertaining as it was, but I was more disappointed by the outcome than anything. Without spoiling too much, things are not what they seem in this book and the surprise ending, rather than being unexpected and SATISFYING is really quite boring and mundane. I wasn't expecting it, but I would have probably preferred a more predictable outcome than the resolution that is given.

On another note, Cory Brooks is an interesting character. His total obsession with Anna (especially in light of what we find out about her by the end of the book, which totally nulls any justification based on legitimate hypnotism or something) is really off-putting, but a male lead that is a gymnast rather than a football player or something is peculiar in a pleasant way. This actually incorporates itself into a lot of the book and isn't merely a superfluous filler detail about his character, and I liked that as well. I thought it was skillfully rendered.

The New Girl is clearly a formulaic kind of story of the kind that is standard for R.L. Stine, but still a nice afternoon read if you want something thrilling but not too dense. ( )
  vombatiformes | Mar 29, 2014 |
Cory can't stop thinking about Anna the mysterious new girl at school. His obsession is ruining his grades and his gynastics not to mention his relationships with his friends. And now everyone is telling him that Anna is dead.

Maybe I am just a sucker for high school books, but I enjoyed this story. It gave me just a little chill and I really enjoy that. It is completely appropriate for tweens and teens. A quick, fun read. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jul 15, 2010 |
Possible Spoiler Alert:

This may have been my first Fear Street book- the book's certainly in the worst condition. Given that, it's surprising I continued on with the series. Who wants to read a series about psychopaths rather than ghosts (which was really what I was looking for). Unfortunately, this book sets up the pattern for many of the later books- the most innocent character turns out to be the murderer, and there's nothing actually supernatural going on. Major letdown. ( )
  t1bnotown | May 19, 2008 |
this was an amazing book it is one of the best ones ive read in a long time ( )
  Bobelliott60 | Apr 10, 2007 |

The pale new girl is as pale as a ghost, blonde and eerily beautiful ---- and seems to need him as much as he wants her. The pale new girl is as pale as a ghost, blonde and eerily beautiful ---- and seems to need him as much as he wants her.
Cory Brooks hungers for Anna Corwin's, drowns in her light blue eyes. He can't get her out of his mind.
He has been losing sleep, ditching his friends ..... and everyone has noticed.
Then as suddenly as Anna appears at Shadyside High, she disappears. To find a cure for tv his obsession, Cory must go to Anna's house on Fear Street -- no matter what the consequences.
Anna may be the love of his life, but finding out her secret may be the death of his.

A dead girl, Anna Corwin, lures high school gymnast Cory Brooks to Fear Street--the street that can lead to his death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible