Taft by Ann Patchett

Info:Harper Perennial (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, TBR, a2008

Taft by Ann Patchett

John, a former drummer turned bar manager is suffering from some sort of mid life crisis. He says he wants to "do right" but frustratingly goes wrong at every turn. Making the reader wonder how he got this far in life when his current ability to make decisions is so shockingly poor. His long term girlfriend has taken their son and left Memphis for a better life in Miami (a questionable decision on her part). Just as it looks like she is coming back he sleeps with her sister. Meanwhile he has hired a hillbilly, Fay from eastern TN to work as a waitress in his bar. She is underage and continually tries to lure him into a relationship - bad on two counts - this could shut the bar down and potentially land him in jail. To complicate matters Fay's junkie brother, Carl has taken to dealing drugs out of the bar. John barely notices until other employees demand he intercede. While reading this I kept thinking, "Well, this can only end badly." I wasn't wrong. ( )
  knitwit2 | Apr 18, 2016 |
Like many readers, I first met the books of Ann Patchett with Bel Canto. That immediately made me want to read everything she writes. Taft is the last of Patchett's books for me to read. And I am sad because I suspect it will be a few years before she has another new novel.

Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
This is Ann Patchett's second novel, written before [Bel Canto] made her one of my favorite authors. In it, she takes us to Memphis, where ex-jazz musician John Nickel manages a bar. When Fay Taft walks in to apply for a job as a waitress, we join Nickel in knowing almost nothing about her that can be observed from her exterior. But gradually we learn about the tragedies that she and her brother Carl have faced. Nickel, whose life is also in upheaval, comes to care deeply for Fay, and over the course of a few weeks, they make an enduring mark on each other's lives. While nothing compares to [Bel Canto], this is a well-told and compelling story. ( )
  porch_reader | May 7, 2015 |
The author has cleverly written in the voice of a African- American male convincingly. I read this in a day and found it a very satisfying read. ( )
  HelenBaker | Dec 12, 2014 |
Not my favorite Patchett, but a good read ( )
  Lisa02476 | Jul 22, 2014 |

Ann Patchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chalmers, AnneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coe, DianaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guider, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
''Home seemed a heaven and that we were cast out...''
For Ann and Jerry Wilson
of Carthage, Tennessee
A girl walked into the bar.

John Nickel is a black ex-jazz musician who only wants to be a good father. But when his son is taken away from him, he's left with nothing but the Memphis bar he manages. Then he hires Fay, a young white waitress, who has a volatile brother named Carl in tow. Nickel finds himself consumed with the idea of Taft—Fay and Carl's dead father—and begins to reconstruct the life of a man he never met. But his sympathies for these lost souls soon take him down a twisting path into the lives of strangers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

"John Nickel is a black ex-jazz musician who only wants to be a good father. But when his son is taken away from him, he's left with nothing but the Memphis bar he manages. Then he hires Fay, a young white waitress, who has a volatile brother named Carl in tow. Nickel finds himself consumed with the idea of Taft--Fay and Carl's dead father--and begins to reconstruct the life of a man he never met. But his sympathies for these lost souls soon take him down a twisting path into the lives of strangers"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,160,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible