The end of Alice by A. M. Homes

The end of Alice (original 1996; edition 1996)

by A. M. Homes

Member:Audrey.scarborough
Title:The end of Alice
Authors:A. M. Homes
Info:New York : Scribner, c1996.
Tags:child molester, child murder, sexuality, experimental fiction

The End of Alice by A. M. Homes (1996)

English (22)  Dutch (2)  All languages (24)
Incredibly disturbing. ( )
  chive | May 17, 2015 |
WARNING: HORROR NOVEL. EVERY PARENTS NIGHTMARE.

I just thought I should make that (the above) very clear.It starts out innocently enough a letter to a prisoner. But then the story evolves into something terrible, horrible. And lots of gruesome. Have I made it clear? This book is about a pedophile. A old one in prison and a new one...free. Your asking why did you read this? I do not know. I though "oh it is less than 300 pages, it should be a quick read and it will be like a Dateline episode". Well, it was a quick read; once I started this was not something I wanted lingering around. You could have put it down you say. I could have. But I chose not to. The subject (at one point I considered vomiting) is repulsive. It is not something we should look away from. Hide from. Not talk to our children about. IGNORE. It is scary.

the fact the author chose to make the object of one sexual predator a boy hits home, I have a boy

And it it not a nice clean sanitized Dateline episode. This is raw in your face sexual violence. This folks is the sad reality. It made me think of the documentary I watched on PBS about the camps of pedophiles in the woods in Florida.

One blurb on my book calls this a "love story". The Los Angeles times can FUCK OFF. Love story?! That is not okay. This is absolutely not a love story. Not at all. And if we fool ourselves into thinking that well, I am scared for all of us.

About the book, the writing you ask? I can say it was well done. I am not sure that I would really recommend this anyone I know. I advise to read at your own risk. I have nothing to offer. I feel like bathing in bleach after this one.

And yes. I gave it a high rating. It was thought provoking. Made me want to vomit. Made me want to educate my child better. These are the monsters we should worry about. The ones that walk among us. In order to know them better we cannot ignore them. We owe our children that.

jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
WARNING: HORROR NOVEL. EVERY PARENTS NIGHTMARE.

jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
A story about pedophilia - not your everyday fare.

Homes does a great job with disturbing imagery. The subject matter is uncomfortable, the writing is very well done: a good book for those looking for something dark. ( )
  Pharis | Feb 18, 2014 |
Couldn't even make it to the 50-page mark in this book. ( )
  pdebolt | Oct 17, 2011 |
A stopped clock is right twice a day. -Lewis Carroll
For William
Who is she that she should have this afflicted addiction, this oddly acquired taste for the freshest of flesh, to tell a story that will start some of you smirking and smiling, but that will leave others set afire determined this nightmare, this horror, must stop.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684827107, Paperback)

The narrator is Chappy, a pedophile who's been locked up in Sing Sing for 23 years. The tale alternates between Chappy's own story (both outside and inside of prison), and letters he receives from a 19-year-old girl who knows of Alice's fate and wants to start playing with 12-year-old boys. The girl's letters disturb Chappy, bringing his memories vividly to the fore. In prose that is both lyrical and horrifyingly direct, A.M. "Amy" Homes takes us into the minds of the correspondents. Chappy is bright, analytical, and reminiscent of Nabokov in the way he talks about his "Lolita." But the sex is graphic and often bizarre, and the author's tone is chilly, so it's not a book to be picked up lightly. As Daphne Merkin writes in the New York Times, it's a "splashy, not particularly likable book whose best moments are quietly observed and whose underlying themes are more serious than prurient."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:37 -0400)

A novel narrated by a Humbert Humbert-like character, Chappy, a voyeur and murderer with a taste for young girls, who corresponds with a college student who has a passion for young boys.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,217,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible