Junge Werwölfe: Erzählungen by…

Junge Werwölfe: Erzählungen (original 1999; edition 2007)

by Michael Chabon, Andrea Fischer (Übersetzer)

839None10,693 (3.62)22
Member:Johann.Partuschke
Title:Junge Werwölfe: Erzählungen
Authors:Michael Chabon
Other authors:Andrea Fischer (Übersetzer)
Info:Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag (2007), Taschenbuch, 256 Seiten
Rating:***

Werewolves in Their Youth: Stories by Michael Chabon (1999)

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (Patangel)
    Patangel: La même humanité transparait dans ces deux ouvrages du même auteur.

English (8)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (10)
I like Michael Chabon...and I have recently read a collection of essays by him as well as this collection of short stories. I enjoyed these stories much more than Astray by Donoghue but since that collection was not to my taste, that is not exactly the best comparison for this collection. I will continue to read Chabon, including his essays and his latest novel, Telegraph Avenue. I look forward to finding another of his books which I will enjoy as much as The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

LaurieAE | Aug 22, 2013 |
Lots of fathers. Lots and lots of missing fathers. ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
I'm usually not a fan of short stories (with the exception of Flannery O'Connor's; she is AMAZING), but I did enjoy this book. The stories themselves were fine - the title story being my favorite - but it was Chabon's writing that really enamored me. I must bump Kavalier and Clay to the top of my TBR. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
In nearly every way, this is an incredibly uneven collection. Like another reviewer, I feel that the first three stories are clearly the strongest in the collection. In fact, after reading the first two, I couldn't believe that I'd allowed myself to wait so long before trying Chabon. I'm afraid, though, that it was downhill from there. In the very end, there was a horror story tacked on, which was interesting...and better than the few before it...but still not great or as good as the first few. For me to look at a collection of around ten stories and only be able to say that three or four were truly worth reading...well, that's not a good sign.

In the first three stories, the plots and sentiments are fast and engaging enough to keep up a certain momentum, but even in those three stories, I never really connected to or cared about any of the characters. For me, this was the problem with the whole collection--I never knew enough about any character, or believed in them enough, to really care. It was as if each story were created from Chabon wondering: "What if a __________________ did ________ or had ______ happen to them?" ie. what if a little boy was considered a friend of the school outcast, but wasn't? What if a woman decided to keep her rapist's child? What if... Now, I'm not saying that that's not a good way/place to start a story. I am saying that a good story requires the writer's imagination to go further than creating an interesting character in an awkward situation, and following that single situation through to a stopping point.

Simply, I'm afraid I grew bored with most of the stories, and with the book as a whole. It felt interesting, but so emotionless as to be unmemorable and easily left to the side. I suppose I'll pick up more of Chabon's work since it's already on my shelf, but this obviously wasn't a good start. Yeah, the stories are well-written...but that's not enough to make great stories or good reading. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 4, 2013 |
After finishing read this collection, I read that the title and first short story was recorded on “Selected Shorts” on npr. That story is about a neighbor kid of a kid who thinks of himself as a werewolf. “Son of the Wolfman“ is about a rape victim‘s husband whose wife decides to keep the baby. He thinks of the child as monster until he is born when he falls in love with the baby. “In the Black Mill” is creepily and wonderfully “written” by Grady Tripp’s boarder from Wonder Boys. It‘s about an archeological dig in Appalachia, and the men who lose limbs (and more) to the “mill.” ( )
  anyanwubutler | Oct 12, 2008 |
Je l'avais faire le bulldozer, le samouraï, l'androïde programmé pour tuer, Plastic Man, Titanium Man, l'homme qui mange tout, une Buick Electra, un camion Peterbilt et même, pendant une semaine, le pont Mackinac, mais c'est dans le rôle de loup-garou que Timothy Stokes finit par dépasser les bornes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312254385, Paperback)

Wonder boy Michael Chabon's second collection of stories tackles the American family in all its tragic and often frighteningly funny dysfunction. In the title story, a self-professed "King of the Retards" tries to distance himself from his next-door neighbor and only friend, who has taken their games (Plastic Man, Titanium Man, Matter-Eater Lad) just a little too far. In "House Hunting," a drunk real-estate agent shows a young couple through a house far too expensive for them, pocketing knickknacks and demonstrating a strange familiarity with its rooms. The wrenching "Son of the Wolfman" follows the aftermath of a rape; after a long struggle to conceive, Cara Glanzman becomes pregnant by her rapist and decides to keep the child, even as her husband struggles with his violent thoughts. In spite of the potential for sensationalism in such a plot, "Wolfman" is moving, unsentimental, and like the rest of these tales, wholly original.

Chabon is a master of the lively and unexpected description, his prose studded with images that split these mostly conventionally themed stories wide open. Consider his burly Quebecois carpenter, who has "a face that looked as if it had been carved with a pneumatic drill by a tiny workman dangling from the sheer granite cliff of Olivier's forehead." Or the "local drunks" of a Chubb Island bar, "a close-knit population, involved in an ongoing collective enterprise: the building, over several generations, of a basilica of failure, on whose crowded friezes they figured in vivid depictions of bankruptcy, drug rehabilitation, softball, and arrest." Or, the narrator of "Mrs. Box" and his failed marriage: "...very soon they had been forced to confront the failure of an expedition for which they had set out remarkably ill-equipped, like a couple of trans-Arctic travelers who through lack of preparation find themselves stranded and are forced to eat their dogs." Werewolves in Their Youth is worth reading for such moments alone. When Chabon uses them to illuminate our darkest impulses and fears, the result is often revelatory.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:42 -0400)

A collection of short fiction includes the story of a boy's attempt to help a troubled classmate, a couple's bizarre visit to a real estate broker, and a young archaeologist's research in an American town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible