The Bus Ride by William Miller

The Bus Ride

by William Miller

I liked this book because of the connection it has to children and the characters involved in the story. The main character is a young, African American girl named Sara that stands up against racism on a bus. I really enjoyed her character because she represented an icon in history, Rosa Parks. This connection to children helps the student become engaged with the story rather than reading about an older woman who did the same thing whom they would have no connection with and may regard as less interesting. Her character was also very positive which can positively for young readers because it represents a role model for them. This character is very inspiring for young readers especially when she stayed in her seat until the police officer picked her up and placed her on the street. The connection to children helps the reader become involved while the character herself acts as an inspiring role model for younger readers. ( )
  tvance2 | Sep 13, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I was really drawn in by the plot because it was very suspenseful. I have only heard of one other person who took a stand against the bus segregation laws and it was never a child. This intrigued me because I was interested in knowing what they did to children who broke the law and sat in the front of the bus, “Sara kept on walking, all the way to the front, and sat down across from the driver. She watched him shift gears and turn the big wheel with both hands. He shot her an angry look.” I like that the author made Sara to be a hero. It really shows the author’s point of view on racial segregation, “It’s okay to smile,” her mother said. “You’re somebody special.” I also liked that the author included white people in the crowd that followed Sara and supported her. It shows that not everyone felt the same. The central message of this book is courage. It took a lot of courage to walk up to the front of the bus and find out answers to the questions that she had. Readers will find out that you can make a difference if you have courage, no matter how old you are, what your socioeconomic status is, or what color your skin is. ( )
  kjacks26 | May 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the characterization of the main character and the incorporation of quotes from Rosa Parks. The main character, Sarah, was characterized as a brave and confident girl who was sure of her actions. She didn't think it was right or made sense to sit in the back of the bus, so she chose to sit in the front. She stayed in the front even when people said she needed to move. The author said, "Sarah sat still, telling herself that there was no good reason for her to return to her old seat." I also loved that the author incorporated quotes from Rosa Parks in the beginning of the story. The story was clearly written based on Rosa Parks, so it was interesting to get to read her actual perspective on things. She said,"As a child, one of the earliest lessons I learned from my mother and grandparents was the importance of taking a stand for what is right." The main message I took from this story is to stand up for yourself and what you believe is right. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Apr 27, 2014 |
about a girl who stood up for what she believed. Based on the Rosa Parks story.The little girl was very self confident about herself. I would recommend this book for primary students probably 3rd /4th graders
tacoma public library
  DellaShaw | Nov 24, 2013 |
Sara is a very brave girl since she refused to sit at one of the back seats in the bus back in the 1950's. Although she was dragged out by a policemen, everyobody was proud of her. Even her picture appeared in the newspaper the next morning.
A wonderfuls story about courage and self-cinfidence! ( )
  sabrina89 | Apr 23, 2013 |

A black child protests an unjust law in this story loosely based on Rosa Parks' historic decision not to give up her seat to a white passenger on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955.

Lee & Low Books

2 editions of this book were published by Lee & Low Books.

Editions: 1584300264, 1880000601

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,442,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible