Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His…

Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing

by James Rumford

Other authors: Anna Sixkiller Huckaby (Illustrator)

1923761,408 (4.14)None

This story is a tale of an amazing man with extraordinary ideas. Sequoyah's goal was to create a writing system for the Cherokee Indians and turn his people into a nation of readers and writers. It was a very tough task with unfriendly neighbors opposing him but Sequoyah never gave up. ( )
  jkl900 | Jan 29, 2018 |
A story about Sequoyah who have a written language to his people that never had anything to keep a written record of their culture. ( )
  alan.greenwald | Oct 31, 2017 |
This book about the man who invented a system of writing for the Cherokee people is an inspiring story of resiliency, hard work, and ethnic pride. I think that this book succeeded in achieving that which many other nonfiction children's books fail to do-- it stayed interesting while also remaining informative. I liked that this story read almost like a folk tale, which accommodated for any possible unverifiable information that may have been stated in the book. As I personally had no idea who Sequoya was before reading this book, I feel as though I've gained a decent understanding of him from this twenty-or-so-paged picture book. Admittedly, it is not so in-depth that I would give it to any child above a fifth grade reading level, but I was definitely recommend it for grades 1-5. ( )
  btbarret | Jan 25, 2017 |
I liked this book for a couple reasons. One reason I liked this book was because it was about a person that most children in our society have never heard of. The book was about a Cherokee man who gave his people writing. Students today are unaware of history that doesn’t relate to them and that is why I like this book. The book provided the basic information that explained who the man was and how he did what he did. I also liked this book because of the extra text features that were incorporated into the story. This book had the English written words translated into the Cherokee written language and was placed beneath the English. This was a really interesting touch that the author included. It added new information for the readers and they were able to see what Sequoyah actually made for his people. The book also included a list of all the symbols that represent sounds in English in the back of the book. The main idea of this story was to inform readers about who Sequoyah was and what he did. And also to provide examples of leadership and perseverance. ( )
  tthomp19 | Oct 11, 2016 |
Summary: A Cherokee man gave his people writing. Sequoyah turned the Cherokee language into eighty-four signs and taught his daughter how to read. Although, once considered crazy, Sequoyah helped people learn to read and write letters over many years.

Personal Reaction: The book has a great analogy of the mighty Sequoia tree that stands tall and proud. This book also has Cherokee writing under each passage, that is really neat to view against English written word. I really enjoyed this book and I thought it was a great way to present a little bit who Sequoyah was a man during his lifetime.

Classroom Extension: After reading the story, create a Fact or Opinion chart and let the children take turns guessing.

Allow the students to make up a symbol for each letter of the alphabet and then use their symbols to write a sentence. They could even exchange their writing with another student to decipher. ( )
  Chelsea.DaVoult | Nov 9, 2015 |

James Rumfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huckaby, Anna SixkillerIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my father, Sydney Rumford, who would stop the car to read every historic marker and who would certainly have told us this story.
California, 1958.

The story of Sequoyah is the tale of an ordinary man with an extraordinary idea—to create a writing system for the Cherokee Indians and turn his people into a nation of readers and writers. The task he set for himself was daunting. Sequoyah knew no English and had no idea how to capture speech on paper. But slowly and painstakingly, ignoring the hoots and jibes of his neighbors and friends, he worked out a system that surprised the Cherokee Nation—and the world of the 1820s—with its beauty and simplicity. James Rumford’s Sequoyah is a poem to celebrate literacy, a song of a people’s struggle to stand tall and proud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:39 -0400)

While walking through a forest of sequoias, a father tells his family the story of the tree's namesake. Sequoyah was a Cherokee man who invented a system of writing for his people. His neighbors feared the symbols he wrote and burned down his home. All of his work was lost, but, still determined, he tried another approach. The Cherokee people finally accepted the written language after Sequoyah taught his six-year-old daughter to read.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible