All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes by…

All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes (1986)

by Maya Angelou

Series: Maya Angelou's Autobiographies (5)

Angelou remembers (re)meeting Malcolm X during his visit to Ghana. Before he left, he said to her, "When you hear that the Urban League or the NAACP is giving a formal banquet at the Waldorf-Astoria, I know you won't go, but don't knock them. They give scholarships to poor Black children. One of those recipients might become a Julian Mayfield, or a Maya Angelou, or a Malcolm X."

VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Read for English SuperBowl one year in high school. ( )
  BethKalb | Jan 3, 2011 |
Maya Angelou has 6 volumes of her autobiography books out and this is #5.
All God's Children Need Travelling Shoes is a very well written piece, as are all of her works. It is informative, colorful, interesting, full of bigger than life characters and small events that color the book and seem large.
She wrote this volume about her time in Ghana, when she "wanted to go home" to Africa. It is rich in detail, rich in friendships, and I love her descriptive phrasing in this book.
She took her 17 year old son and moved to Ghana planning to stay. It didn't turn out that way but the story of her stay there is very interesting and I enjoyed this work of hers very much. It helped me to understand the woman she has become. However, I would probably only recommend it to loyal fans of Angelou. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Sep 20, 2009 |
Refreshing piece of personal history from the times of Pan-African movement and her period of living in African continent in the 1960s (mostly in Ghana). Most is told through her own feelings and personal (parental and social) experiences as black American on Africa, but theres brief apperances of certain historical figures like Malcolm X and Liberian president. Most telling description also from her theatrical travel to Berlin, in telling about the meeting around dinner table between a German (host), a jew and (herself) black afro-american. Each one tells a symbolical story to others, and what a stories these are...for the interesting use her english words the my overall points given would be even more than 3.5, but the depictoring of events itself is sometimes little incoherent. ( )
  hepsodus | Jul 21, 2008 |
The best part of this book is the title. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the book itself. I found it disjointed and un-eventful. I feel bad saying this as this is suppossed to be part of an amazing, ground breaking autobiography- and I can see how it could be... I just didn't feel it. I'm not familiar with the majority of situations described in the book, and instead of Angelou explaining it to me, she just left it as is and I became even more confused. Then, to make it even more frustrating, she isn't a very likable character- I actually found her annoying! And all I want to know is why she doesn't eat fish! I feel bad I didn't like the book... I really wanted to!

FAVORITE QUOTES: The Ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned. ( )
  rcooper3589 | May 27, 2008 |

Maya Angelouprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Coming for to carry me home.
This book is dedicated to Julian and Malcolm and all the fallen ones who were passionately and earnestly looking for a home.
The breezes of the West African night were intimate and shy, licking the hair, sweeping through cotton dresses with unseemly intimacy, then disappearing into the utter blackness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067973404X, Paperback)

"Thoroughly enjoyable . . . an important document drawing more much-needed attention to the hidden history of a people both African and American."--Los Angeles Times Book Review.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:02 -0400)

"Thoroughly enjoyable ... an important document drawing more much-needed attention to the hidden history of a people both African and American."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible