Miss Marple's Last Case: Sleeping Murder;…

Miss Marple's Last Case: Sleeping Murder; Miss Marple's First Case: Murder… (1976)

by Agatha Christie

Read during: Summer 2006

Yet another re-read after seeing the new Miss Marple on Mystery. Why a re-read? Because, yet again, the creators of the series decieded to make a large number of changes to the story, for no apparent reason. The original novel makes more sense and is a highly enjoyable read. I don't think I'll get fooled into watching Miss Marple again, I fail to see why major plot changes are needed.

Reread Murder at the Vicarage

Started 24 May 2014
Finished 26 May 2014

Reread Sleeping Murder
Started: 22 May 2014
Finished: 24 May 2014

A tearing reread following an extremely well-done Radio 4 Extra dramatization.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Sleeping Murder *** I liked the early parts of the story, and the feelings of deja vu that Gwenda experiences as she becomes accustomed to her new surroundings are quite creepy. The mystery that ensues, however, was a bit of a letdown. I suppose that if you're familiar with the play that is featured in the opening pages of the book then the mystery is easy, but I was pretty confused by the many suitors and their motivations.
I was ready to pin the murder on a different character entirely and I quite think it would have made for a better ending. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jul 17, 2013 |
Miss Marple's first and last cases
  lyricmedia | Dec 1, 2011 |
In highschool I poured through all the Agatha Christie on the library bookshelves. Recently, at the library book sale, I picked up some nicely bound copies of Christie's for a dollar each. So this has become my summer reading at the moment.

I like a good mystery, yet have to admit, the imagination of them has been spoiled by my watching the pbs versions of Miss Marple & Poirot over the years. I find it difficult to get the visuals out of my head while I do the reread. So while I loved that PBS versions, I'm glad I originally read the books first. Yet in all that, these are still worth the reread.
  Motherofthree | Mar 7, 2011 |
The Murder at the Vicarage:
To Rosalind
Sleeping Murder:
Gwenda Reed stood, shivering a little, on the quayside.
The Murder at the Vicarage:
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage.
This is an omnibus of the first and the last of Miss Marple cases.
Please do not combine with "Sleeping Murder, Miss Marple's Last Case".

From the dust jacket: "Of all the memorable characters in detective fiction, Agatha Christie's Miss Jane Marple is among the most engaging. Unrivaled as a female sleuth, she has captivated two generations of readers and filmgoers. Sleeping Murder, Miss Marple's final case, was written when Dame Agatha was at the peak of her creative talent, and has only recently been released for publication. It marks a double farewell, first to Agatha Christie, one of the greatest mystery writers of all time, and second to that universally beloved spinster, Miss Jane Marple. The novel - in which Miss Marple goes to the aid of a newly wed couple whose recently purchased Victorian villa conceals a strange and frightening secret - is ingenious, imaginative and utterly tantalizing. Sleeping Murder becomes even more meaningful when presented along with Miss marple's first adventure, The Murder at the Vacarage, in which she must discover which of the numerous persons who confess to a seemingly impossible murder is guilty of the crime."

The new-look series of Miss Marple books for the 21st century. Soon after Gwenda moved into her new home, odd things started to happen. Despite her best efforts to modernise the house, she only succeeded in dredging up its past. Worse, she felt an irrational sense of terror every time she climbed the stairs. In fear, Gwenda turned to Miss Marple to exorcise her ghosts. Between them, they were to solve a 'perfect' crime committed many years before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:17 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible