Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by…

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

by Carol Dweck

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Tough goes broad on a range of non-cognitive factors that influence the likelihood that students will be successful (grit, perseverance, curiosity, etc.); Dweck goes deep on one factor (having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset). Both are highly readable (though FWIW, I found Dweck repetitive and preferred Tough's book).… (more)
    Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Very readable book on cognitive science as it applies to teaching and learning. One chapter features the growth mindset, and the others are fabulous as well.
    Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Stone gaat voort op de growth-mindset van Dweck door in te gaan op het groeipotentieel van feedback voor de ontvanger. Hij benoemt de klassieke frustraties en vooroordelen op feedback en belicht een hoop strategieën om feedback in je eigen voordeel te benutten.… (more)
    Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina (montano)

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea-the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it's not just our abilities and talent that bring us success-but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn't foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals-personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.
  COREEducation | Apr 27, 2015 |
Certaily one of the most important books I'v read this year. Highly recommended. ( )
  KonradN | Apr 19, 2015 |
This is a great book that breaks down and compares the two different mind sets in our world: the fixed and growth. This book compares and contrasts those two different mind sets and gives information about why and how we think.
  kelly.haskins | Apr 9, 2015 |
You know what this is. Another leadership book. Change your mindset. To this one. ( )
  debnance | Mar 21, 2015 |
The book talks about the differences in two types of mindset - fixed and growth and shows the impact of being in either mindset.

I have read other books on similar topics, but the author Carol Dweck puts things very interesting and keeps the flow of the book.

There were two things that stood out for me.
1. People with growth mindset are better at estimating their abilities as they are more accurate information about their abilities even though unflattering.

2. Praise achievement and not talent. This one just had a "wow, that's just brilliant" effect on me. Having a child to raise, I'm always looking for such pointers. This is going to be the best take-away for me from this book.

"Beware of success; it can knock you into a fixed mindset - I won because I have talent therefore I will keep winning." ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
One day, my students sat me down and ordered me to write this book.

World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea–the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it’s not just our abilities and talent that bring us success–but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn’t foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals–personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

Reveals how established attitudes affect all aspects of one's life, explains the differences between fixed and growth mindsets, and stresses the need to be open to change in order to achieve fulfillment and success.

702 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,978,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible