Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by…

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success (edition 2007)

by Carol Dweck

Member:gouldc
Title:Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Authors:Carol Dweck
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Paperback, 288 pages

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

Recently added byrobkelly94, Bookish59, private library, Katy11, andreivasiloiu, Revekka, RichardLibero, jnyrose, CTLE
    Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Very readable book on cognitive science as it applies to teaching and learning. One chapter features the growth mindset, and the others are fabulous as well.
    How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Tough goes broad on a range of non-cognitive factors that influence the likelihood that students will be successful (grit, perseverance, curiosity, etc.); Dweck goes deep on one factor (having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset). Both are highly readable (though FWIW, I found Dweck repetitive and preferred Tough's book).… (more)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
The book talks about the differences in two types of mindset - fixed and growth and shows the impact of being in either mindset.

I have read other books on similar topics, but the author Carol Dweck puts things very interesting and keeps the flow of the book.

There were two things that stood out for me.
1. People with growth mindset are better at estimating their abilities as they are more accurate information about their abilities even though unflattering.

2. Praise achievement and not talent. This one just had a "wow, that's just brilliant" effect on me. Having a child to raise, I'm always looking for such pointers. This is going to be the best take-away for me from this book.

"Beware of success; it can knock you into a fixed mindset - I won because I have talent therefore I will keep winning." ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
This book, while interesting, was about twice as long as it needed to be. I much preferred Daniel Willingham's (unappealingly named) "Why Don't Students Like School?" -- it's equally readable but is packed with much more information and includes practical applications for teaching and learning. There's a chapter on the growth mindset in Willingham's book as well. ( )
  bluenotebookonline | May 12, 2013 |
Fascinating research in regular people-speak about how having the right mindset (growth vs fixed) can actually set you up for success in every and any aspect of life: relationships, athletics, academics, arts, rocket science!

Dweck's writing style is a bit too informal for me; I would have preferred a tone that was slightly more academic. However, I get that it's pop-non-fiction.

The first 2 chapters were a bit slow-going -- lots of repeated info to set up what a "mindset" is, by her and her colleagues' definitions. However, after that it gets really interesting with real-life applications. The last chapter was my favorite as it deals with the actual aspect of change within a growth mindset. I REALLY want Dweck to write a book just on that! The change is the hardest part, IMO.

I'd give this 4.5 stars (because of the informal tone issue) but overall, it's a super useful read. It will be a very influential book for me on a personal and professional level. ( )
1 vote CanadianA | May 4, 2013 |
In Mindset, Dweck, a psychologist specializing in achievement and success, explores her theory that people generally have either a fixed mindset or a growth mindset. Those in a fixed mindset are afraid to fail and as a result, often fail to try. They believe their achievements define them, i.e. When I got an A on this paper, everyone said I was smart. If I don't get an A on my next paper, people won't think I'm smart anymore. In contrast, those in a growth mindset are more interested in stretching and growing than in success/failure. Growth mindset people are more likely to take a risk because the growth inherent in the effort is more important than the outcome. Best of all, Dweck makes it clear that we can choose to be in one mindset or the other, training our brains to think in the growth mindset. Dweck shows how the mindsets work in various aspects of life - business, sports, education, romance, parenting, and more. Mindset is an interesting read - it would be a good pick for a book club or other discussion group because everyone is bound to have an opinion about Dweck's theory. ( )
  ReadHanded | Apr 25, 2013 |
I had read about Dweck's research many times, and I listened to this audiobook immediately after reading [b:Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals|13001482|Succeed How We Can Reach Our Goals (Audiobook)|Heidi Grant Halvorson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320336201s/13001482.jpg|14633970] by Heidi Grant Halvorson, who was Dweck's student. Halvorson succinctly explains Dweck's theory as part of a larger discussion of how our beliefs can subvert our goals, and I found Dweck's book simplistic and repetitive by comparison.

Halvorson's book covers a lot more ground, citing tons of research all along the way, and listing specific recommendations at the end of each chapter. Dweck's book focuses on just one piece of the equation, and it illustrates that central theory with anecdotes and profiles of celebrities and other prominent figures.

Had I been unfamiliar with Dweck's work, or had I read these books in the reverse order, I probably would have found it more revelatory. It's a very important theory, the book is well written, and I certainly believe Dweck's testimonials from readers who say it changed their lives. I just didn't get much out of this book that I hadn't already learned, and I found Halvorson's summaries of research studies on regular people much more compelling than Dweck's analyses of CEOs and athletic stars.

In sum, if you don't know yet about fixed vs. growth mindsets and how they affect behavior, and you enjoy reading about psychology for entertainment as well as edification, do read this. Especially please do so if you're a parent, teacher, or manager. The world desperately needs you to understand this theory. If you're in a hurry, though, and want information you can apply to improve your own life immediately, read Halvorson instead. ( )
  ignatz | Mar 28, 2013 |
One day, my students sat me down and ordered me to write this book.

World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea–the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it’s not just our abilities and talent that bring us success–but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn’t foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals–personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:51 -0400)

Reveals how established attitudes affect all aspects of one's life, explains the differences between fixed and growth mindsets, and stresses the need to be open to change in order to achieve fulfillment and success.

500 wanted2 pay4 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible