Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by…

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success (edition 2007)

by Carol Dweck

1,208346,620 (3.86)13
Member:gouldc
Title:Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
Authors:Carol Dweck
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Paperback, 288 pages

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Tough goes broad on a range of non-cognitive factors that influence the likelihood that students will be successful (grit, perseverance, curiosity, etc.); Dweck goes deep on one factor (having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset). Both are highly readable (though FWIW, I found Dweck repetitive and preferred Tough's book).… (more)
    Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Very readable book on cognitive science as it applies to teaching and learning. One chapter features the growth mindset, and the others are fabulous as well.
    Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well by Douglas Stone (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Stone gaat voort op de growth-mindset van Dweck door in te gaan op het groeipotentieel van feedback voor de ontvanger. Hij benoemt de klassieke frustraties en vooroordelen op feedback en belicht een hoop strategieën om feedback in je eigen voordeel te benutten.… (more)
    Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina (montano)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
Some interesting points - which I am looking forward to putting into practice! - but a bit redundant in terms of examples.
Audio version NOT recommended. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Apr 28, 2016 |
I've heard a lot about mindsets recently so I thought it'd be a good idea to learn more about it. I wish the book was more of a practical guide than a seemiongly endless parade of examples. None the less, I got the point and think the book is well worth the time spent on it. Over the years I have wobbled back and forth between the fixed and the growth mindset but now I am firmly on the growth side. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Spot on. This nails how I think, both good and bad. ( )
  MarkKeeffe | Feb 23, 2016 |
Highly recommended....influenced me to made changes to my life and parenting. ( )
  ingrid98684 | Feb 12, 2016 |
An interesting premise weakened by a poor argument. Dweck's book, short though it is, unfortunately proves that more is less; by citing example after example of people who have growth or fixed mindsets, she makes it hard to talk in depth about the qualities any one of them possesses. (It doesn't help that she often refers to celebrities that she has obviously only read about.) She also simplifies and overgeneralizes, at one point going so far as to say, "Parents and teachers who send fixed-mindset messages are like France, and parents and teachers who send growth-mindset messages are like Italy." (This claim is based on two weeks in Provence and one lunch in Italy, nowhere near long enough to form accurate impressions of one country, let alone two.) Not until the last chapter does she really address how to change one's mindset, and even that is done in rather vague terms. I'm still glad I read the book, because it's given me a lot to think about -- and happier that my job paid for it. ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 10, 2015 |
One day, my students sat me down and ordered me to write this book.

World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea–the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it’s not just our abilities and talent that bring us success–but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn’t foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals–personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

Reveals how established attitudes affect all aspects of one's life, explains the differences between fixed and growth mindsets, and stresses the need to be open to change in order to achieve fulfillment and success.

720 wanted2 pay6 pay

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,344,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible