Mindset : the new psychology of success by…

Mindset : the new psychology of success (edition 2008)

by Carol S. Dweck

Member:Romeodenhaage
Title:Mindset : the new psychology of success
Authors:Carol S. Dweck
Info:New York : Ballantine Books, 2008.

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Tough goes broad on a range of non-cognitive factors that influence the likelihood that students will be successful (grit, perseverance, curiosity, etc.); Dweck goes deep on one factor (having a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset). Both are highly readable (though FWIW, I found Dweck repetitive and preferred Tough's book).… (more)
    Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom by Daniel T. Willingham (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Very readable book on cognitive science as it applies to teaching and learning. One chapter features the growth mindset, and the others are fabulous as well.
    The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (stephenkoplin)
    Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina (montano)
    Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well (Even When It Is Off Base, Unfair, Poorly Delivered, And, Frankly, You're Not in the Mood) by Douglas Stone (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Stone gaat voort op de growth-mindset van Dweck door in te gaan op het groeipotentieel van feedback voor de ontvanger. Hij benoemt de klassieke frustraties en vooroordelen op feedback en belicht een hoop strategieën om feedback in je eigen voordeel te benutten.… (more)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
Mental toughness, growth, taking responsibility, character and teamwork, readiness to grow, self confidence, shut elitism, put in effort, don't expect magic or talent alone to work. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
(original review, 2006)

Following the footsteps of some who is great in order to be great is moronic. Only talentless fools would look to do the same as others to be successful. The only way to succeed is by doing what you love and get obsessed by it. You will be working over 100 hours a week, and you will be thinking about it every second awake, and you will be a success because nobody loves it as much as you do. It is like when you get with a girl that you love and it doesn't matter how pretty people say other’s girls are in comparison to yours; it is yours the most beautiful in your eyes.

All of these could be boiled down to: Discipline. Whatever oddball habits these people may have had, the point is that they did them every day, without fail, even to the point of obsession. Even something simple like going to sleep at the exact time each night is surprisingly hard to achieve. Distractions, family, life, television, internet all get in the way. It takes a truly disciplined person to tune out all of that and stick to schedule. I certainly can't bring myself to achieve it. Because, ultimately, it doesn't really matter what your particular morning or nightly routine is - it could be the oddest, more superstitious thing in the world. What matters is that you do it every day.

The tried and tested daily routines of an interminable dullard:

1. Get dressed gradually over the course of several hours. Take care not to put on trousers before 2pm;

2. Plumb new depths of mediocrity by re-watching repeats of "How I Met Your Mother";

3. Stimulate brain activity by attempting to deduce the identity of the criminal in Scooby Doo before the big reveal;

4. Try to see life from a different perspective by spending the afternoon watching TV while lying on the floor in a semi-comatose state, with one eye closed;

5. Learn how to micro-multi-task – Do several things, each for a duration of five seconds per day;

6.Cultivate a feeling of false superiority over your fellow man by eating Lindt chocolates while watching Herman José on TV (our most famous comedian). ( )
  antao | Oct 6, 2018 |
Foremost, I found this book utterly dull and boring. It repeated itself way too much (I ended up skipping chapters 5 and 7 as I couldn't bear it no longer). The message was clear from the introduction, the rest was only giving examples of people with different careers and how people who had adapted the growth-attitude succeeded while the ones with fixed-attitude failed. These examples didn't give me anything and all of them were very brief and shallow - no wonder, as most examples were famous people who the author didn't personally know and thus couldn't tell more about their situations or struggles or ways of coping.

At some point the author also mentions that there are no clear distinction between people with growth- or fixed-attitude, but still she keeps dividing people into these two categories.

The book, filled with these shallow examples that function merely as praising the superiority of growth-attitude, lacked serious advice how to change your attitude. The advice of asking yourself "when, how and where" etc. given in the final chapter were very abstract and not really helpful - especially if you have already fallen into the hole where you think you are not good at anything and are so afraid of trying that you cannot even see the chances you are given - you are simply too scared to WANT anything. Also, I found it odd that the author thought the only thing preventing people with fixed-attitude from trying was that they wanted to keep their fantasy of being the best and greatest - what if some people with fixed-attitude think they are not worth anything and thus they refuse to try?

I wonder why there was no discussion on how self-esteem affects your attitude towards growth. I think for people with low self-esteem it is natural to have the fixed-attitude while for the more self-confident the growth-attitude is practically given. (The attitude of not wanting to try in fear of losing your superiority is also a sign of low self-esteem, which the author never addressed.) It would be very difficult for a person with low self-esteem to try to change the attitude without gaining some self confidence first. Imagine you have low self-esteem and then decide to try anyway (based on the advice given in this book), and then fail - what would happen to your low self-esteem? The author never even thought that some people with fixed-attitude would not try because of fear of failing and losing the rest of your self-esteem - she only thought people were afraid of losing their superiority in the eyes of others. And went on and on with this same theory. Sure there would have been some room to explore other points of view as well.

I think the book (perhaps at least the chapter 7 that I skipped, not the other dull ones) would be useful for teachers and parents so they wouldn't let children fall into the trap of thinking they are worth nothing or that they are kings and queens of everything. ( )
  Lady_Lazarus | Jul 26, 2018 |
Re-reading was a useful refresher on tenets on mindset and its impact on students, teachers, and community. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
One day, my students sat me down and ordered me to write this book.

World-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck, in decades of research on achievement and success, has discovered a truly groundbreaking idea–the power of our mindset.

Dweck explains why it’s not just our abilities and talent that bring us success–but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset. She makes clear why praising intelligence and ability doesn’t foster self-esteem and lead to accomplishment, but may actually jeopardize success. With the right mindset, we can motivate our kids and help them to raise their grades, as well as reach our own goals–personal and professional. Dweck reveals what all great parents, teachers, CEOs, and athletes already know: how a simple idea about the brain can create a love of learning and a resilience that is the basis of great accomplishment in every area.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

Reveals how established attitudes affect all aspects of one's life, explains the differences between fixed and growth mindsets, and stresses the need to be open to change in order to achieve fulfillment and success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,648,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible