All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (1929)

by Erich Maria Remarque

11,862274223 (4.08)1 / 859
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (246)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (273)
The front cover of this book has a red runner across it on which is written The GREATEST WAR NOVEL of ALL TIME. Now we've all seen instances of hyperbole on books that the pages inside cannot live up to. In this case though I am inclined to say that it is richly deserved. I have read quite a few books set in World War I and some of them have been superb but this one seems in a class by itself.

Paul is a young German soldier. He has been fighting for 2 years when the book starts and he is only 20 years old. A group of boys from his school were convinced to enlist when war was declared by their school master. Two years later only Paul and two others from his class survive. They and a handful of men from their basic training have formed a tight knit group. They go up to the front as a unit and, with luck, they come back from the front without lethal injuries. But as time goes on the group gets smaller and smaller. The soldiers are expected to fight unremittingly even though they have poor rations, threadbare clothes, not enough ammunition and are infested with lice. At page 283 the author sums it up as follows:
Shells, gas clouds and flotillas of tanks -- shattering, corroding, death.
Dysentery, influenza, typhus --scalding, choking, death.
Trenches, hospitals, the common grave -- there are no other possibilities.

This is possibly the first account I have read from the point of view of a German in World War I. The author was himself in combat in the war and was wounded five times. I think this explains why this book is so moving and engrossing. It is clear from how he writes that he is opposed to war. In fact, during World War II he moved to the United States and stayed for the duration. I can only imagine the despair he must have felt to have another war start knowing the loss of life that was going to be experienced. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jun 30, 2016 |
No words can express how eloquent this is or how profoundly sad.

wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Book card 12/79
Objectionable: yes
Value: 3
  keithhamblen | Jun 13, 2016 |
This book is not a work of literary genius but a realistic story of war. If you ever wanted someone to tell you what it is like to be in a war, then this is the book to read. Remarque does not hold back. He was a WWI soldier himself and therefore he knows and he does not glorify it. This is the story of young men, just beginning their adult life, who are talked into enlisting by their schoolmaster. WWI was a new kind of war. It has been called a Chemistry war. Gases were used by Germany but also by the Allies. They used tear gas, mustard gas, chlorine gas and phosgene. This was the war that had planes, tanks, fire throwers, all kinds of bombs and men fought in trenches. My great uncle was in WWI and had some mustard gas (or maybe something else) with some damage to his lungs. I never realized that the allies also used gas.

Quotes I highlighted:
"You take it from me, we are losing the war because we an salute too well."

"Give 'em all the same grub and all the same pay
And the war would be over and done in a day."

"...for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--"

Even though this book is set in WWI, I suspect many of the experiences that our soldiers experience are still the same. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 7, 2016 |
Just as amazing as it was three decades ago when I read it at about the age these boys were. I can't imagine why anyone else has even bothered to try to write another book about the impact of war on the common man - this is truly universal. I'm sure there are plenty of great reviews out there so just two quick impressions from me re' this read.

1. The translation is wonderful. It feels very true to the content and the voice, and is poetic & powerful in its simple grace.

2. These boys were bullied into enlisting when they were the current age of my youngest son. They are children. As the author makes clear, one of the most awful things about war is the aftermath. It is not over when it's over. These boys come back, but they can't ever feel at home. They hadn't anything back home to anchor them. They came of age on the front, in the trenches, and that is their identity.

Some of the slightly older men had careers and families, and if they survived physically intact they at least have a chance of re-integrating. Of course, if they don't, their families suffer.

In sum: War is *not* the kind of adversity that makes one stronger. It's just plain awful.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Erich Maria Remarqueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, ArmasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,475,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible