All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (1929)

by Erich Maria Remarque

13,692302266 (4.1)1 / 970
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    The Middle Parts of Fortune by Frederic Manning (timspalding, timspalding)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    Life in the Tomb by Stratis Myrivilis (ten_floors_up)
    ten_floors_up: A different perspective on trench warfare in the First World War. Fictional experiences of a Greek soldier on the Macedonian front, written in a less earthy, more florid style by a veteran of that campaign.
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)

1920s (10)
Elevenses (194)
Europe (41)

English (273)  French (6)  German (5)  Yiddish (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (302)
A classic of the anti-war genre. Read in HS during the Vietnam era. ( )
  4bonasa | Apr 15, 2019 |
The breath of desire that then arose from the coloured backs of the books, shall fill me again, melt the heavy, dead lump of lead that lies somewhere in me and waken again the impatience of the future, the quick joy in the world of thought, it shall bring back again the lost eagerness of my youth. I sit and wait.

Likely one of the first novels I ever read. My clumsy use of "novel" refers to literature, not simply novelistic genre books routinely purchased at drug stores and discount stores and read in a hour. That grist was so much of my life before university. Aside from the Gehenna revealed, All Quiet proved instructional in its subtle handling of empathy and color. That may appear didactic, but it was enormously significant in my life. I think I have read it twice since then. We've all been handled irrevocably by Ramarque.
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
A classic page turner. Glad I finally read it. The horror of war is in very page, with the humanity we all, should, share. All people of power should read or re-read it. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I've heard so much about this book over the years. It lived up to its reputation. It was so well written. The beauty of the book is that it could have been any war in any place and any group of soldiers. The horrors are the same. Remarque has a beautiful eloquent style. I would like to read more of his books. ( )
2 vote bcrowl399 | Jan 27, 2019 |
One of my favorite books of all time, an exquisite, heartbreaking anti-war novel, about a group of German boys who decide to join the (world) war (I) effort in the midst of a patriotic wave rising within the country. Yet, once on the front, they learn that war is not at all alike to what they've been told ...

Read in Slovene under the title of Na zahodu nič novega. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |

Lawrence, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murdoch, BrianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,054,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible