All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1987)

by Erich Maria Remarque

Info:Ballantine Books (1987), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 1001 books to read before you die
Rating:*****
Tags:WW1, antiwar, historical fiction, German Literature, classic

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (233)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (259)
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque - Excellent

It's not often a book moves me to tears, but this one did.

The futility of war, the wasted lives, the wasted youth - this book depicts them in a simple yet moving way.

Written from the perspective of a young German soldier who enlisted with his fellow pupils, the way the war changes his life, and will permanently change the lives of all involved, is depicted, whether they be old or young, men or women, German, French, English, Russian...... The details are things we've all heard before - or think we have, but to hear them from someone who was there, who can detail what it is like to hide in a shell crater for 24 hours until there is darkness and quiet to return to the trench, what it is like to watch the rats grow fat on corpses yet still steal your food, to know what it is like to watch boys you were at school with die by your side.

Incredibly moving. Should be compulsory reading for anyone thinking of sending men to war!

Listed in the 1001 books you must read before you die http://www.listology.com/list/1001-

books-you-must-read-you-die

Listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I just can't get in to war stories. It is almost as bad as a retelling of a fairy tale. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book was filled with the true gore of war. Maybe, the gore was a little too graphic. A group of boy students are sent to war in the trenches. Their experiences there are filled with trauma, death and injury. If just reading about the gore was too much for me, imagine the effects it had on a group of boys, around the same age as me, who experienced it first hand. No wonder why veterans are sent home with permanent injuries and trauma like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. All Quiet on the Western Front evokes a true reverence for veterans of any war that is very well deserved and even necessary.
I would definitely recommend this read despite the graphics. It's interesting to experience the war from a younger and more releasable point of view rather than generalized textbooks. ( )
  CaitlinHooks | Jan 21, 2016 |
Sad and poetic. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible