All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1996)

by Erich Maria Remarque

11,672269228 (4.08)1 / 853
Member:tattyapple
Title:All Quiet on the Western Front
Authors:Erich Maria Remarque
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks 2012
Rating:*****

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (239)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (266)
This classic is one of the most gut-wrenching, authentic, anti-war novels that I've ever encountered. Being placed in the soldier's point-of-view, instead of a historian's or a general's, is an eye-opening experience that will make anyone re-think what it means to go to war...and more importantly, what war does to the human psyche. A must read for anyone, but be careful because it will haunt you for a long time. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Apr 18, 2016 |
My favorite quote from this book:

"I see how peoples are set against one another, and in silence, unknowingly, foolishly, obediently, innocently slay one another." Chapter 10, pg. 263

kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
Profound writing about the brutality of WWI and the disenchantment and hopelessness of the young men of that generation. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
[All Quiet on the Western Fron by Erich Maria Remarque
I am young, I am twenty years of age; but I know nothing of life except despair, death, fear, and the combination of completely mindless superficiality with an abyss of suffering. I see people being driven against one another, and silently, uncomprehendingly, foolishly, obediently and innocently killing one another. I see the best brains in the world inventing weapons and words to make the whole process that much more sophisticated and long lasting. And watching this with me are all my contemporaries, here and on the other side, all over the world - my whole generation is experiencing this with me. What would our fathers do if one day we rose up and confronted them, and called them to account? what do they expect from us when a time comes when there is no more war? For years our occupation has been killing - that was the first experience we had. Our knowledge of life is limited to death. What will happen afterwards? And what can possibly become of us.

It has been said that All quiet on the Western Front is one of the finest anti-war books ever written and I can believe it. Paul (the hero of the novel) has volunteered along with all his class mates to join the German Army soon after the start of the first world war, they are marched down to the recruitment office by their school master in a blaze of patriotic fervour. When Paul writes the above paragraph he is recovering in a military hospital from shrapnel wounds, he has survived at or near the front line for three years, but most of his class mates are dead. He is now one of the veterans but all he can look forward to is a return to duty once he has been passed fit. He knows nothing else but the war, and a bit like the opening scene in the film Apocalypse Now: when he is at war he wants to be home, but when he is home he wants to be back at the front. He is speaking now for a generation of young men and this is the powerful message coming off the pages of this book along with a sense of complete dislocation. How can his generation survive the war? How can they survive after the war?. To make this point the readers are taken through the horrors of front line trench warfare.

Those horrors are brought to life by the reader seeing them through Paul’s eyes. Erich Maria Remarque chose to write his novel in the first person; he was himself conscripted into the German army at age 18 and was wounded in the arm and leg by shrapnel. Having seen action himself he was able to provide a first hand account of the horrors of fighting a modern war from the point of view of an infantryman on the ground, and he does not hold back. The deafening noise of the guns, the flying metal, the gas attacks, the field hospital are all vividly described along with the state of mind of young men put in impossible situations. For many of them death and probably an agonisingly slow death at that, was waiting for them just up ahead, but the war machine had done its job and they stuck to their task, there was nothing else to be done.

Paul has questions that cannot be answered, but this does not stop him thinking aloud to us the readers. Those questions still cannot be answered as we now know that the war to end all wars: didn’t do that. Paul carries on following orders, witnessing the horrors around him with only a sort of gallows humour camaraderie with his immediate group of friend to support him. I am pleased to have picked this book off my shelf to read, it makes sobering reading and I found it to be quick read. A short sharp shock while reading and lots to ponder about afterwards. An important book and a five star read. ( )
9 vote baswood | Mar 26, 2016 |
I read this in th grade and found it really depressing. But I guess that's what you get when you put an 8th grader with a realistic WW1 book. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible