All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1996)

by Erich Maria Remarque

12,366284202 (4.09)1 / 913
Member:tattyapple
Title:All Quiet on the Western Front
Authors:Erich Maria Remarque
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks 2012
Rating:*****

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    Border Crossings by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (256)  German (5)  French (5)  Yiddish (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Norwegian (1)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (284)
Finished this book years ago....

When this book was borrowed to me by a friend I had no expectations (it is outside my preferred sf/f genre). It painted a picture of the human condition versus merciless war. Bleak and devastating. Poignant. I can't put in words what this book was to me. But when I got to the last page, I knew it was 'a Good Book'. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is a remarkable story. It is about Paul, a young German soldier during the World War I. It is a heart-wrenching story about how boys lose their youth by being on the front, by facing death all the time. It is about the casualties of war and how senseless it is. It is a must-read for everyone. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Jun 7, 2017 |
Eighteen-year-old Erich Paul Remark was draft into the German Army to fight in World War I. He was sent to the Western Front in July 1917. There he experienced the horrors of war, as did many thousands of other young men on both sides. On July 31 he was wounded (shrapnel in the left leg, right arm, neck) and sent to an Army hospital where he spent the rest of the war.
Afterward he became a teacher until he took a leave of absence in 1920 to begin a literary life. He changed his name to Erich Maria Remarque. Maria in honor of his mother and Remarque, the traditional German spelling of his name
In 1929, he published his third novel, All Quiet on the Western Front. In the novel, eighteen-year-old Paul Baumer is a young German soldier fighting in the trenches in France. Like the Southerners in Gone With the Wind, Paul and his buddies head for the front with glorious ideas of quickly over-running the French. Instead, they are horrified by the blood-drenched trenches, the constant shelling, the mud, and the general misery of life at the Front.
When Paul returns home on leave, he is disgusted by the inaccuracies that people have of the battle---much like the American troops endured during Vietnam.
I first read this novel over summer break as a teen. Considered the greatest war novel of all time, I have to concur. Remarque takes readers into the trenches with him and, through his eyes, readers can experience the tragedy of war. One of things that make it stand out is that the point of view is from a German solider.
Remarque probably suffered from shell shock, or PTSD, as we know it today. I believe that he wrote to try to exorcize the demons that haunted him. He wrote nine other novels, all concerning war, but All Quiet on the Western Front is the one for which he is most remembered.
6 out of 5 stars. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Jun 6, 2017 |
This was way more graphic than I was expecting for a novel published in 1928. The vivid descriptions of the extreme physical and mental stress suffered by an ordinary soldier have the stamp of authenticity, and much of the imagery from this book has become the standard visual vocabulary of WWI trench warfare. What struck me most, though, were the scenes set outside the trenches, as the main character returns home on furlough. His incapacity to relate to civilians, including his own family, and his inability to even begin to describe his experiences were incredibly moving and psychologically acute. ( )
1 vote PeterCrump | May 28, 2017 |
Really excellent and moving story of what life was like on the front lines of WWI, and the horrors of trench warfare. Probably one of the most realistic glimpses one could get into such an experience. ( )
  .Monkey. | Apr 29, 2017 |

Erich Maria Remarqueprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hämäläinen, ArmasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible