All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1996)

by Erich Maria Remarque

11,338253245 (4.08)1 / 833
Title:All Quiet on the Western Front
Authors:Erich Maria Remarque
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks 2012

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (227)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (253)
Very sad but very good. ( )
  arpentec | Nov 27, 2015 |
This is a re-read of this classic First World War novel about a group of German ex-classmate soldiers in the trenches in the latter part of the Great War. This is a more modern translation from the mid 1990s (the previous version I read eight years ago was the original translation done shortly after the novel's first publication in Germany in 1929). While both translations are very good, the more modern translation was, I felt, particularly superb at describing the experiences, the sights, sounds and smells of life in the trenches for the ordinary soldier. Much of these experiences apply equally to the ordinary soldiers on all sides (interestingly, and perhaps inevitably, on both sides the ordinary soldiers seem to tend to think conditions are better for their counterparts in the opposite trench). The narrator Paul Baumer is not a poet or a political animal, and for him peace means the absence of the noise and tension of bombardment, the peace and quiet of his home and his books. This makes the novel all the more powerful in its message of peace without being preachy. A deserved classic. ( )
  john257hopper | Nov 15, 2015 |
The book All Quiet on the Western Front is written by Erich Maria Remarque, it is an extremely eye=opening novel and really showed the true horrors of war. The book is about a German soldier, Paul Baumer, who is fighting on the western front of the German territory during world war one. He fights in brutal fights while barely escaping death multiple times. While fighting, He discovers the brutal events of war, and makes many friends who some of which end up dying in battle. During his time serving, he overcomes many obstacles. One is the scarcity of food while at war. Each soldier only gets one loaf of bread a day, and a sausage once a week. The book shows the insignificance of a German soldier during world war one. All Quiet on the Western Front is a very good book in my opinion,really shows the realism of war and its brutality. Paul’s experiences humanize war in a way that you will never experience unless you are actually on the front lines, it's message is very impactful. By the end of the novel, it becomes much easier to understand why today’s soldiers return from Afghanistan or Iraq with so many mental health issues. It not only causes readers to pause and reflect on the damage we too are doing to future generations, but it made me start to contemplate the morality of war. I enjoyed reading this novel and it's message had a lasting effect. ( )
  Hayfastutman | Nov 5, 2015 |
Very powerful book describing the horrors of a war that is being forgotten. I wish I could read it in the original German! ( )
  jpb355 | Nov 2, 2015 |
This is a book about war. What war? Any war. The horrors, the pointlessness of killing people who are are the same as you - the stupidity of your officers, the stupidity of the leaders in your country - its all here.

While this book is set in WWI, with the soldier from Germany - it doesn't really matter. War is war. It should be required reading for everyone.

The book itself is written in a matter of fact way. It is what it is. The narrator isn't sentimental. He doesn't have paragraphs of flowery speech about why war is pointless. He is a soldier - he does his job. This tone of voice really is what makes the book so powerful. He tells it like it is.

Highly recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 27, 2015 |
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,942,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible