All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich…

All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1929; edition 1975)

by Erich Maria Remarque, A. W. Wheen (Translator)

11,137246251 (4.08)1 / 809
Member:wtoomey
Title:All Quiet on the Western Front
Authors:Erich Maria Remarque
Other authors:A. W. Wheen (Translator)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (1975), Hardcover, 248 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction, German Literature, WWI, Classic

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (219)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (245)
Brilliantly evocative account of Trench Warfare from the viewpoint of a German soldier: All the more remarkable because it was written in the 1920s and along with the WW1 tomes of Sapper (British) set the tone for a much more realistic and therefore more brutally tragic descriptions of the mindless slaughter August 1914 - November 1918.
Should be compulsory text reading for every 14+ school boy and girl. Removes every bit of gloss and glory and literally cuts to the teeth and bone of the factual reality at back of Dulce et Decorum! ( )
  tommi180744 | Jul 20, 2015 |
I had to read this for school and although I didn't love it, All Quiet on the Western Front is a well written book that captures what WWI was really like. Many historical fiction books focus too much on heroes and glory but All Quiet on the Western Front shows the hardships of soldiers and the affect the war had physically and mentally on everyone alive at the time. A lot of times the mental affect the war had on people was much worse than the physical affects. Everyone knew someone in the war and WWI effected the soldiers as well as civilians. Everyone interested in WWI should definitely read this book. ( )
  aliceinoblivion | Jun 27, 2015 |
Enlisted by the patriotic pressure of their community, Paul and his just-graduated classmates attempt to survive the seemingly unlimited depravity of the Western Front of WWI: "Life is simply one continual watch against the menace of death; - it has transformed us into unthinking animals in order to give us the weapon of instinct - it has reinforced us with dullness, so that we do not go to pieces before the horror, which would overwhelm us if we had clear, conscious thought - it has awakened in us the sense of comradeship, so that we escape the abyss of solitude - it has lent us the indifference of wild creatures, so that in spite of all, we perceive the positive in every moment, and store it up as a reserve against the onslaught of nothingness. Thus we live a closed, hard existence of the utmost superficiality."

I was surprised at how many times a passage/incident/phrase made me smile - even amidst horror there is kindness and humor (albeit of a darker variety). But still: "It must be all lies and of no account when the culture of a thousand years could not prevent this stream of blood being poured out, these torture-chambers in their hundreds of thousands. A hospital alone shows what war is." Fuck.

Would have been fascinating/depressing to witness Paul's re-immersion into or further isolation from society following the armistice, but... war. ( )
  dandelionroots | Jun 25, 2015 |
Powerful story of a German WW1 soldier and this translation by A.W. Green was very well done. While the horrors of trench warfare are not skipped over, the way this is written makes it bearable for me to read (which I had worried about). Poignant & thought-provoking. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2015 |
I decided to read this to get some perspective in this tub-thumping rolling centenary of WW1. Both my grandfathers fought in that war. I never knew either of them, but my parents told me that neither would speak of what they had experienced. I studied the war at secondary school. It made no sense to me. I haven't read Pat Barker's books yet, but I have read Birdsong, which I found ridiculously romanticised and overblown. All Quiet On The Western Front seems to me to make the most sense as is possible of that senseless war. I understand a bit better what Jim and Herbert, my grandfathers, went through and how that experience would make them unable to talk about it with people who hadn't lived through it. Remarque's book is important for that reason. ( )
  missizicks | Jun 14, 2015 |

Hansen, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, ArmasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacini, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westphalen, TilmanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,437,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible