Nada de Novo no Front by Erich Maria…

Nada de Novo no Front (original 1929; edition 1987)

by Erich Maria REMARQUE

10,310None276 (4.08)1 / 685
Member:rfv.vieira
Title:Nada de Novo no Front
Authors:Erich Maria REMARQUE
Info:Ballantine Books (1987), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

1001 (62) 1001 books (51) 20th century (167) anti-war (95) classic (328) classics (229) death (39) fiction (1,335) Folio Society (39) German (245) German fiction (41) German literature (260) Germany (315) historical (68) historical fiction (338) history (183) literature (280) military (86) novel (291) own (47) read (174) Roman (59) soldiers (53) to-read (140) translation (45) trench warfare (49) unread (59) war (667) WWI (1,252) WWII (53)
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Life in the tomb by Stratēs Myrivēlēs (ten_floors_up)
    ten_floors_up: A different perspective on trench warfare in the First World War. Fictional experiences of a Greek soldier on the Macedonian front, written in a less earthy, more florid style by a veteran of that campaign.
    Soldier from the Wars Returning by Charles Edmund Carrington (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: As a contrast and comparison All Quiet is written from the experiences of a soldier in the German trenches.
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    The Middle Parts of Fortune by Frederic Manning (timspalding)

English (192)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (215)
I've read a lot of great books about World War One - and this is the best.

In a mere 200 or so pages, Erich Maria Remarque perfectly captures the absurdity, tragedy, humour, horror, camaraderie and waste of war. This book packs so much in, and it is beautifully and simply written.

A room full of German schoolboys, in 1914, fresh-faced and idealistic, are goaded by their teacher into enlisting for Germany's glorious war, where inevitably the young boys become old men in a matter of months. No one back at home can ever understand the horror of this new mechanised style of warfare and quickly the boys, robbed of their lives and their youth, realise they only have each other. Inevitably, one by one the boys die or get injured.

Erich Maria Remarque touches on many aspects of the conflict: the violence, the terror, the politics, the home front, the pettiness, and so on.

If you only have time to read one book about World War One then read this. It's stunning.

5/5 ( )
  nigeyb | Apr 15, 2014 |
…monotonously falls the rain. It falls on our heads and on the heads of the dead up in the line, on the body of the little recruit with the wound that is so much too big for his hip; it falls on Kemmerich’s grave; it falls in our hearts.

At school nobody ever taught us how to light a cigarette in a storm of rain, nor how a fire could be made with wet wood -- nor that it is best to stick a bayonet in the belly because there it doesn’t get jammed, as it does in the ribs.

{About guarding Russian prisoners-of-war:} A word of command has made these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends. {…} I take out my cigarettes, break each one in half and give them to the Russians. They bow to me and then light the cigarettes. Now red points glow in every face. They comfort me; it looks as though there were little windows in dark village cottages saying that behind them are rooms full of peace.

This classic (anti-)war novel is narrated by 19-year-old Paul Baumer, a German soldier serving in the trenches near the front during WWI. It’s brutal, thoughtful and illustrative not only regarding battle and the dead but how the living are forever changed.

I can envision where it inspired other war novels -- that first quote above reminds me of the opening of The Things They Carried -- and while Catch-22 remains my favorite (hilarious, heartbreaking, imaginative, complex), this is outstanding and so much more accessible. Recommended for everyone. ( )
5 vote DetailMuse | Apr 10, 2014 |
"How senseless is everything that can ever be written, done, or thought, when such things are possible. It must all be lies and of no account when the culture of a thousand years could not prevent this stream of blood being poured out, these torture-chambers in their hundreds of thousands. A hospital alone shows what war is.

"I am young, I am twenty years old; yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow. I see how peoples are set against one another, and in silence, unknowingly, foolishly, obediently, innocently, slay one another. I see that the keenest brains of the world invent weapons and words to make it more refined and enduring. And all men of my age, here and over there, throughout the whole world see these things; all my generation is experiencing these things with me."
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I believe that this is one of those books that many of us read when we were in high school. I say many of us because I don't remember actually reading this book myself, but a part of that is because I really didn't like reading the books that we were forced to read at high school. It wasn't until I returned to high school when I was 21, and then when I went on to university, that I started to take an interest in literature, and more so after I finish university and started working. Hey, even in my final years of my law degree I was still reading rubbish Piers Anthony books, but along side that I was also reading Kurt Vonnegut and Noam Chomskey, as well as devouring as many of the ancient Greek and Roman books that I could get my hands on. These days though, if you have a look at my reading lists, you will discover that my tastes have changed dramatically.
As the cover of my version of this book says, this is probably the most popular of the war books that has ever been written, and one of the reasons is quite possibly because you are made to read it in high school. Where I went to high school, they had a library where all of the set reading materials were stored, however I have come to discover that this was a peculiarity with South Australia because apparently all the other states you have to buy the books, which turns out to be a big bonus for the author because it means that the author is making all this money because students are being forced to buy this book to read (though I suspect that Remargue is probably dead, which means that all of the money goes to his estate).
This is a very deep book and there is quite a lot that one can discuss. I can actually picture students sitting in English class reading a chapter at a time and stopping when the teacher wants to discuss something (that happened with me). For instance there is the scene in the hospital in which people go into the 'Dead Room' and do not come out, or the doctors that perform experiments on the patients because they can. There are also the numerous scenes in which the protagonists are sitting in the trenches starving because there is simply not enough food. The other two scenes that stick in my mind is when Paul is training and his camp is next to the POW camp where the Russians are kept, and there is also the scene where he is stuck in the crater with the dying French soldier and he struggles with the nightmares that he is going to face because he the soldier has ceased to be a soldier and suddenly has become a human being.
This is what I wish to discuss about this book, and that is the dehumanisation of warfare. I was going to say modern warfare, but in a way all warfare demhumanises you. The key point is when they are in the trenches they talk about how the fight is not actually between them and the French, but rather being the German and French rulers (with the British thrown in). Basically it is a school yard punch up on a grand scale. In the school yard, if you get into a fight, it is personal, however what happens in war is that the fight is not between the nations, but the rulers of the nations, and that is where it because disastrous. The reason I say this is because the ordinary person is then given a uniform and told to go out and fight the people of the other nation simply because the leaders of the other nations have upset the leaders of your nation.
Mind you, things are different in wars these days, and this has been the case since Vietnam. These are not wars in the traditional sense because while the American soldier is sent out to fight the President's war, the people that they are fighting against have taken it personally. In Iraq there was not football matches at Christmas time as was the case in World War I, there were simply bombs going off and suicide bombers blowing themselves up. The same was with Vietnam – the Viet Cong did not let off during the traditional holidays either, and in fact, one of the largest offensives during the war occurred during the Vietnamese New Year (that being the Tet offensive).
The other aspect of the dehumanisation of the war is the fact that Paul has pretty much lost his identity, or more so never had an opportunity to actually obtain an identity. When he came of age he was given a gun and sent to the front. He never had the opportunity to fall in love, and he never had the opportunity to actually use his skills. As is said in the book, when the mathematician dies, his mathematical ability suddenly has come to naught (and in fact some very capable scientists found themselves dead on the front line). We have even seen this with Vietnam, with the Vietnam Vets returning home and wondering around, disconnecting themselves from their former families and friends, lost and confused, literally without an identity except for the fact that they fought in a war. I remember discussing a Hemmingway novel with some friends, who have described the World War I vets on the allies side being described as a lost generation (and spending their time in Paris getting drunk – which is something I would like to do).
In a way I find this is still reflected today in our modern world. Even while we may not be at work, the bosses simply do not see one's skills and abilities. They only see a need and a desire to fill that need. In my workplace we have people dropping out of University so that they can earn a living, and finding themselves becoming disconnected from their own personalities simply to answer phones all day and to process. There are many companies that do not recognise or utilise one's skill sets simply because they have a need that they want filled, and will fill it with anybody, whether you have skills that could be used elsewhere or not. As such, our identity is slowly being destroyed. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Jan 30, 2014 |
This book was the first book I ever read that portrayed the blunt realities of war. Prior to reading it, I knew that war was always bloody and people were killed and maimed. These are some of the characteristics that come to mind when most people hear the word "war" . However, after reading All Quiet on the Western Front, these attributes will be at the bottom of mind. Up front will be some soldier who was being saved but was killed because shrapnel hit his head, some enemy troop trying to take cover in a ditch and being stabbed to death the instant he entered, and some group of men mourning the loss of their fellow soldiers who had fallen but rejoicing at the fact that they now have more food for each meal. Many other war stories do not discuss war's harsh truths, while this one leaves none of them out. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone, and I can almost guarantee you that after reading this, you will never think of warfare the same way again. ( )
  Aspyn | Jan 16, 2014 |

Erich Maria Remarqueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdoch, BrianTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheen, A.W.Translatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Groth, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hansen, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, ArmasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible