Nada de Novo no Front by Erich Maria…

Nada de Novo no Front (original 1929; edition 1987)

by Erich Maria REMARQUE

11,742272225 (4.08)1 / 854
Member:rfv.vieira
Title:Nada de Novo no Front
Authors:Erich Maria REMARQUE
Info:Ballantine Books (1987), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:*****

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (1929)

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Also by Remarque, The Road Back is often considered a sequel to All Quiet. It has some of the same characters and alludes to others.
    Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Taken together, Jünger's memoir and Remarque's novel present a pair of radically different views of the German experience in World War I.
    Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Nickelini, chrisharpe)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (Simone2)
    Lay Down Your Arms! by Bertha von Suttner (MarthaJeanne)
    MarthaJeanne: Two anti-war novels written in German. Suttner wrote before WWI about how war affects the families, Remarque after the war about how it affected the soldiers.
    Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo (usnmm2)
    Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque (Anonymous user)
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien (chrisharpe)
    1948: A Soldier's Tale - The Bloody Road to Jerusalem by Uri Avnery (Polaris-)
    Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (mcenroeucsb)
    The Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna (andejons)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at the personal toll of war.
    Zero Hour by Georg Grabenhorst (lmichet)
    The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (aliklein)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books look at war without mentioning the politics that go along with it.
    Johnny the Partisan by Beppe Fenoglio (UrliMancati)
    A Long, Long Way by Sebastian Barry (starfishian)
    Border Crossings - An Aid Worker's Journey into Bosnia by Aubrey Verboven (Aubrey_Verboven)
    Heeresbericht by Edlef Köppen (Dekki)
    Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books take a personal look at war.

English (242)  French (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Yiddish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (269)
Review: All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

A sad intense story told by one German soldier, Paul Baumer about what he went through in World War I leaving no event or thought untold. The book was well written and the author did justice explaining clearly the men in Paul’s troop and how friendships were there one day and taken away one after the other. This novel flawlessly captures the confusion, bitterness, hopelessness and injustice loss of human life on the battlefield. To an American reader, Baumer is the enemy but that does not matter because I believe any soldier on either side went through the same emotions and turmoil.

The images Paul describes are intense and painful, the choking on gas, trembling with fear of being shot, watching a friend get blown apart, being in a trench for over twenty-four hours with a dead soldier from the other side and crawling over ground in the dark looking for another safe hole to rest before moving on to another hole for cover. This review was hard to write but I did my best and those readers who can possibly try to read Paul’s Baumer’s story I highly recommend the book.

This book I believe was written with Remarque’s intent of censuring the effects of war. The book does show a great perspective of one mans view, relying on the well written words of the author to brand its context into the mind of the reader. Remarque also emphasizes the belief and merit of friendship and the unimportance of traditional values. After reading this book, it severed its purpose to me very well. It made me wonder why we still tolerate the atrocity of war. I know its reality of life and I highly respect those who serve but it frustrates me when a country does not follow through helping the military when they come home…IF they do come home…
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |

E.P.G | May 30, 2016 |
All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
audio performance by Frank Muller
4 stars

This is the quintessential anti-war book. I naturally thought of my own 19-year-old son and counted my blessings that he is not stationed in a war zone. It also caused me to remember my father’s stories of pilot training at the end of WWII. He was too young to see combat, but one of his flight instructors had; an ‘old’ man of 23, who had already seen too much. Frank Muller read this book beautifully. It brought tears to my eyes.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This classic is one of the most gut-wrenching, authentic, anti-war novels that I've ever encountered. Being placed in the soldier's point-of-view, instead of a historian's or a general's, is an eye-opening experience that will make anyone re-think what it means to go to war...and more importantly, what war does to the human psyche. A must read for anyone, but be careful because it will haunt you for a long time. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Apr 18, 2016 |
My favorite quote from this book:

"I see how peoples are set against one another, and in silence, unknowingly, foolishly, obediently, innocently slay one another." Chapter 10, pg. 263

kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |

Erich Maria Remarqueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hämäläinen, ArmasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is to be neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it. It will try simply to tell of a generation of men who, even though they may have escaped shells, were destroyed by the war.
We are at rest five miles behind the front.
The war has ruined us for everything.
We were eighteen and had begun to love life and the world; and we had to shoot it to pieces. The first bomb, the first explosion, burst in our hearts. We are cut off from activity, from striving, from progress. We believe in such things no longer, we believe in the war.
But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony.
Every little bean should be heard as well as seen.
We are little flames poorly sheltered by frail walls against the storm of dissolution and madness, in which we flicker and sometimes almost go out.
- page 298

Men are committed,
Slouching toward Bethlehem.
Death is generous.

(one-horse.library)
Boys go off to war;
Surprise! Germans have feelings.
Disregard all flags.

(one-horse-library)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449213943, Mass Market Paperback)

Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.
"The world has a great writer in Erich Maria Remarque. He is a craftsman of unquestionably first trank, a man who can bend language to his will. Whether he writes of men or of inanimate nature, his touch is sensitive, firm, and sure."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:25 -0400)

The testament of Paul Baumer, who enlists with his classmates in the German army of World War I, illuminates the savagery and futility of war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,972,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible