Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands…

Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality

by Henry Cloud

English (6)  German (1)  All (7)
Integrity. It is more than simple honesty. It's the key to success. A person with integrity has the -- often rare -- ability to pull everything together, to make it all happen no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Drawing on experiences from his work with Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, and individual leaders, Dr. Henry Cloud, a clinical psychologist and nationally syndicated radio host, shows how our character can keep us from achieving all we want to (or could) be.
In Integrity, Dr. Cloud explores the six qualities of character that define integrity. He uses stories from well-known business leaders like Michael Dell and sports figures like Tiger Woods to illustrate each of these qualities. He shows us how people with integrity:
Are able to connect with others and build trust Are oriented toward reality Finish well Embrace the negative Are oriented toward increase Have an understanding of the transcendent
Success is not related to only talent or brains. There are a lot of bright, talented people who are never successful. And the most successful are not only the ones with the most talent. The real factor, Cloud demonstrates, is the makeup of the person. All of us can grow in the kinds of real character that bring about fruitful relationships and achievement of purpose, mission, and goals. Integrity is not something that you either have or don't, but instead is an exciting growth path that all of us can engage in and enjoy. ( )
  SRUResourcelibrary | Oct 7, 2016 |
This books examines the six areas we need to use to connect the dots with how integrity of character really works day to day, and how it affects our real results in the key areas of modern life. He views integrity as an "exciting growth path that all of us can engage in and enjoy". This book has sections on "why integrity matters", "establishing trust", being "oreintated toward truth", "getting results" and "embracing the negative".

Good for people entering leadership roles.
  OHIOCLDC | Jun 25, 2015 |
Integrity. It is more than simple honesty. It's the key to success. A person with integrity has the—often rare—ability to pull everything together, to make it all happen no matter how challenging the circumstances.
• Are able to connect with others and build trust
• Are oriented toward reality
• Finish well
• Embrace the negative
• Are oriented toward increase
• Have an understanding of the transcendent
  heritagechurch | Oct 4, 2010 |
I picked up this book because two of my bosses at work were praising it. I thought I should have a look at what might be inspiring their business decisions these days. Trying to understand what attracted them to the book remained my primary motivation to keep reading, as I was annoyed with the author after just a few pages.

I will explain below why I believe the book irritated me, but before that I will still say that I did reflect in a constructive and valuable way as I read. It triggered many a self-examination along the way, and inspired me in deciding how I will work to grow my own character. Unfortunately, to achieve these gains I had to make my way through a rough and even messy text that made me feel like the author was more preoccupied with quickly putting his book on the market instead of ripening the ideas and format until it was ready to be shared broadly.

My academic bias contributed to my annoyance. At first glance, I was bothered by Cloud's use of the title "doctor" for himself, and by the fact that I needed to do my own research to finally find that his "Dr." comes from a Ph.D. at a religious university. Anyone who feels they need the authority of the title "Dr." to talk about non-medical matters sharpens my skeptical fiber. That the praise printed at the front of the book all came from business leaders - and none from peers or critics - including two who were thanked in the acknowledgment also raised my level of skepticism from the start. This might be good for sales, but not as much for credibility in my opinion.

Then, as I read, I was annoyed with the lack of editing. As a second-language user of English, I occasionally blamed myself for failing to understand a sentence at first glance, but overall I am now convinced that careful editing for syntax and meaning was neglected. This sentence from page 257 illustrates my point: "I know a man who runs the western United States for one of the big telecommunications companies." How difficult was it to write instead that the man "runs the western U.S.A. division of a telecommunication company"? There are countless such sentences in the book, including many with missing words or dubious connectors, that cast a shadow on the professionalism of the author and editor. I also noticed many phases sandwiched between quotation marks, but without a source cited. What does this mean?

Aside from these issues of form, I think there are deeper problems with the content of the book. There is no doubt to me that my perspective as a sociologist clashes with that of the author (a psychologist who earns a living working with business leaders), and I am willing to try to appreciate his work within his perspective. However, this does not explain that the book reads like an excellent... draft. Many of the concepts are good but insufficiently developed, overlapping so much with each other that the author constantly has to refer to what is said elsewhere in the book. Cloud also constantly has to remind us that by "integrity" he is not really referring to what most people think of as "integrity." Why not then simply use another concept that really represents what he means? While I do not expect every book to display flawless conceptual elegance, I do expect that authors (and editors) will publish ideas in book format only once those ideas are mature, so that I don't have to dedicate so many hours trying to decipher approximate thoughts.

Nonetheless, I did gather some prized insights from the book, which may help me grow as a person. This being said, unfortunately, I am afraid it will do more harm than good in my workplace. I am sure that this is not what the author intends - and in fact he says the opposite many times - but he really leaves the reader with a feeling that there isn't much to do against character flaws. Cloud often says that character can grow, however he would need not to say it but to show it. Show, don't tell. To me, his approach is about as helpful as simply telling a smoker: "Smoking is bad for you and for the people around you, so you should quit." There is a sense of hopelessness in his stories, in which the individuals whose character flaws are exposed are seldom (if ever) shown to grow or evolve. Instead, they end up fired or they fail at their business, and Cloud moves on to talk about someone who has great character and succeeds. We don't find out how the flawed characters found (hopefully) a way to get better. Perhaps Cloud did intervene with some of his clients to make them better, but the mechanics of those interventions is not represented in the book.

I am glad I read the book, but I am above all glad to move on to more useful works, which also are written with more care. I will return to the book Immunity to Change by Kegan & Lahey. Cloud shows in his book who we should be as persons to be successful, but Kegan & Lahey offer a step-by-step method to actually grow into the person we want and need to be. I am more comfortable with their approach. ( )
1 vote Grogotte | Jan 10, 2010 |
As usual, Dr Cloud has written another great book. I recommend anything he writes if you're interested in personal growth. Be prepared to get to work because this scalpel cuts deep. ( )
  remikit | Sep 13, 2009 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:59 -0400)

"How six essential qualities determine your success in business"--Book cover.

60 wanted1 pay1 pay

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible