Gypsy Rizka by Lloyd Alexander

Gypsy Rizka (1999)

by Lloyd Alexander

I agree with other reviewers who say Rizka reminds them of Pippi Longstocking and is best for ages 9-13.

This story is interestingly crafted: Each adventure is a bit more sophisticated than the previous, each solution the girl derives is a bit more clever & complex, until the end which is poignant, thoughtful, and more mature than the beginning, even though this takes place well within one year.

I'm not sure how many children will be able to keep track of all the adult characters and their eccentric foibles the first time they read this - but it is the kind of book that begs to be re-read so that's ok. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Rizka has dedicated herself to the (mis)management of the townsfolk of Greater Dunitsa. Using her unique and wiley people skills she helps others win true love, shelter homeless animals and cure chicken phobias (which, of course, she may have caused in the first place). All this she accomplishes while living with her faithful feline and waiting for the return of the chiriklos and her gypsy father.

Lloyd Alexander will always have a place in my heart for his authorship of The Prydain Chronicles which I read repeatedly in my tween years. This story didn't seem to have the same depth of characterization as those but I believe this is because this story was written for a younger level. Taking that into consideration I will say that the story was enjoyable. Written in an episodic way Rizka is a good example of a clever and self-sufficient young lady and we get to see how she uses her creativity to solve her own problems and the problems of the odd townsfolk around her.

I did like the story although I had to work at it to stay interested. I think that this is one that had I read it when I was younger I would have enjoyed much, much more. I think this would be a great tale for kids 4th grade and up. ( )
2 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | May 21, 2009 |
The Towns folk don't know what hits them when Rizka decides to take action against the small and sometimes larger injustices that go on in her small town. They don't know how much they need her and she doesn't know how much she needs them untill she has a chance to leave. ( )
  wishgranted | Sep 13, 2006 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Rizka the Gypsy girl has a hand in everything that happens in Greater Dunitsa-including runaway lovers, floods, magical caves, and a ghost in the town hall. General Hatvan wants to court-martial her, young Sofiya wants to be just like her, and her greatest enemy-Chief Councilor Sharpnack-wants to run her out of Greater Dunitsa. Has the smart and sassy Rizka finally met her match?

"Vintage Alexander: lively, satirical, and with a core of pure gold."-The Horn Book, starred review

"Master storyteller Alexander has another winner...will be delighted." -School Library Journal

Awards:

( A Booklist Editors' Choice

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:58 -0400)

Living alone in her wagon on the outskirts of a small town while waiting for her father's return, Rizka, a Gypsy and a trickster, exposes the ridiculous foibles of some of the townspeople.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible