Thief, Liar, Gentleman? by Eleanor Updale

Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (2004)

by Eleanor Updale

I hadn't had so much fun reading a book in a long time.

Brought me back to the stories of my childhood, like Dumas' The count of Montecristo, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray.

Compulsive reading.

Don't miss. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Engaging story with plenty of historic atmosphere. As a prisoner and doctor's showcase patient, Montmorency has been in the attendance of various academic lectures. One in particular captures his interest: that of the sewer system in London. He realizes he could use the sewer system as a getaway option when robbing valuables. When he is released from prison he embarks on his plan. By selling the items he steals, Montmorency is able to buy into an upper-class lifestyle. He adopts two personas to carry it off: that of Scarper who does the stealing and is the personal "assistant" to Montmorency, the high-end gentleman living at the Marimion Hotel. He is engaged by a fellow gentleman to spy on an embassy dinner and get any details about an uprising in Maramnania. When Montmorency successfully pulls it off, he is offered a job with the foreign office. At that point, now a legitimate member of society, Montmorency drops his Scarper persona and returns several items he'd stolen but never sold. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. Montmorency is definitely an interesting guy. I liked reading about his struggle with going straight. Very glad that Scarper was ditched at the end of the book as I felt it was running the risk of hitting split personality territory.

I'm not 100% sure what makes this a children's book. They never allude to Montmorency's age although it's clear he's considered an adult by the time period standards and all the flirtations make me think this might be more of a tween work maybe? Planning on reading the rest of the series eventually. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

A thief steals some clothes
and lives like a gentleman
after some jail time. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439580366, Paperback)

Montmorency: thief, liar, gentleman?, a British import from debut author Eleanor Updale, is a smart, stylish antidote to the proliferation of Buffy novelizations masquerading as mysteries these days. In a London cellblock in 1875, career criminal Montmorency is serving time for burglary. Captured while fleeing police, Montmorency suffered several grievous wounds that attract the attention of a brilliant young doctor named Robert Farcett. When Dr. Farcett displays Montmorency's newly healed body before the membership of London's Scientific Society, Montmorency overhears a presentation on the city's new sewer system that will change his life forever. Once released from prison, Montmorency uses his knowledge of the underground tunnels to steal from some of London's wealthiest neighborhoods. But in order to enjoy his new riches, he must assume a dual lifestyle. By day he is Mr. Montmorency, a mysterious opera going gentleman who resides in one of the city's most affluent hotels. By night, he is drain-dwelling Scarper, a smelly character who keeps a room in a dirty boarding house. How long can he keep up this agonizing pretense before someone, perhaps even the good doctor, recognizes his scars and exposes him as a fraud?

Middle school fans of John Bellairs, Lemony Snicket, and Philip Pullman, will delight in plowing through the cliff hanging pages of Montmorency. Updale's prose is clear and plot-driven, full of the kind of fascinating detail about the quirky Victorian thief's dual existence that young mystery readers adore. And, with a sequel coming in 2005, they won't groan too loudly at the wide open, although wholly satisfying ending. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:21 -0400)

In Victorian London, after his life is saved by a young physician, a thief utilizes the knowledge he gains in prison and from the scientific lectures he attends as the physician's case study exhibit to create a new, highly successful, double life for himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,858,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible