Owl in Love by Patrice Kindl

Owl in Love (edition 2004)

by Patrice Kindl

270None41,957 (3.82)15
Member:booksandwine
Title:Owl in Love
Authors:Patrice Kindl
Info:Graphia (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:**

Owl in Love by Patrice Kindl

Owl in Love is hilarious! I love her odd way of speaking and her confusion with human society. Owl nature makes more sense to her than human society. I can see where it will be easy for outsiders of any pack, pride, or flock to identify with Owl and her tribulations through love, loyalty, and survival. ( )
  ayla.stein | Jul 14, 2013 |
I bought Owl in Love by Patrice Kindl on a complete whim. It turns out to be the author's debut novel. In it, Owl Tycho, an owl "by name and by nature" spends her days as a teenage girl and her evenings as a barn owl (Tyto alba).

Her name is so similar to what she becomes, that one can just imagine the other characters in the book doing a double take whenever Owl is first introduced. Owl, though, has other obsessions — namely her science teacher who is more than twice her age. Why he intrigues her so is never fully explained, although Owl does try. The feeling, is thankfully, not mutual.

Things change when a mysterious boy appears — camping out in the teacher's backyard (how convenient). The boy, we are lead to believe, has similar talents and needs as Owl.

Where the book lost me though is in the spareness of character. Owl, in all her strangeness, is the most normal person in the entire book. Owl's human (but self-described witch) parents are less socially adjusted that she is.

Since I never managed to connect with Owl or the other characters, I didn't care to see how the book ended. Although I was only about thirty pages from completing the book, I decided to move on to something new. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 12, 2013 |
morphing girl turns owl by night; crush on science teacher reveals secrets

7.99 ( )
  aletheia21 | Mar 18, 2012 |
Maybe some of you may recall my tweet about this book being a creeper. I still stand by that tweet. I will say, I did warm up to Owl In Love a bit, but definitely feel a little too old for it. Owl In Love by Patrice Kindl is about this 14 year old girl named Owl who is -get this- a wereowl. She has a creeper crush on her teacher Mr. Lindstrom, who is pushing mid-forties, and somewhat balding. Basically she turns into an owl and watches him from the window. I know gross, right! Anyhoo, I spent most of the book creeped out until she met someone her own age.I guess by virtue of my ripe old age (as of 3/10 -22), I couldn't connect with the main character. She had this odd way of speaking, and was condescending towards humans. She didn't eat normal food. She didn't have friends. Her parents don't have electricity, and are like, yes honey please marry your teacher. For realz. As a grown-up reading this, might I mention a grown up who is an educator, I just have to say EW. I know adults don't say EW. Let me tell you, any kid starts watching me through the window, I will send my boyfriend after you/let the dog loose on you. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand adolescent crushes and projecting lust on older people. I do know what it's like to be young and get crushes, and how consuming they can be, but I guess being on the other end of the spectrum has changed my mind a bit.Now, I will say this, Owl In Love has a rather unique voice. Also, the concept of wereowls -- I've never heard of that before, so yay for originality. Oh, and Owl In Love was a quick read, I read it in about one sitting. Plus there was a friendship theme underlying the book, and I am a sucker for friendships. I guess, I recommend this book to the younger set. ( )
  booksandwine | Oct 7, 2010 |
I absolutely loved this book. I read it many years ago (and as is the point of all this had forgotten it). A wonderful, quirky coming-of-age love story.
  linda-irvine | Aug 10, 2010 |
I am in love with Mr. Lindstrom, my science teacher. I found out where he lives and every night I perch on a tree branch outside his bedroom window and watch him sleep.

Part bird of prey, part teenage girl in love, and now part stalker, Owl Tycho’s life is complicated. It becomes even more so when an inept new shape-shifter appears on the scene. Funny, smart, and supernatural, Owl is a young woman worth getting to know.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

A fourteen-year-old girl, who can transform herself into an owl at will, discovers interesting new relationships with both humans and owls when she develops a crush on her science teacher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible