Terrible Things: An Allegory of the…

Terrible Things: An Allegory of the Holocaust

by Eve Bunting

Other authors: Stephen Gammell (Illustrator)

"In this allegory, the author's reaction to the Holocaust, the animals of the forest are carried away, one type after another, by the Terrible Things, not realizing that if perhaps they would all stick together and not look the other way, such terrible things might not happen." Taken from p. 4 of the book.
  HolocaustMuseum | May 8, 2013 |
This story is an allegory to the Holocaust. Creatures known as the Terrible Things take groups of animals just based off what they look like. The main character is a small rabbit who does not like what is going on. He is forced to watch all of his friends be taken, group by group. Although he doesn’t like what’s going on the larger rabbit encourages him to be quiet and be thankful that it wasn’t them who were being taken. Until one day, after all the other animals were taken, the terrible things returned and captured all of the rabbits except that small rabbit who was able to hide and escape from the terrible things.

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was very interesting. Even though I am older and I understand the true meaning of the Holocaust and what happened during that time it put it in a different perspective for me. The illustrations were interesting as well. There wasn’t any color except for a few hints of red; the rest of it was just black and white. It was well written and easy to understand.

I believe you could use this book for any age group above a fourth or fifth grade level. Even though the book is meant to reflect the events of the Holocaust, I believe you could use in a lesson over bullying or standing up for what you believe in. I believe it is very important to instill those ideas in our students and children.
  capt.insaino | Mar 13, 2013 |
Stunning book of the Holocaust. The illustrations are one of my favorite things about the book. ( )
  awakefield808 | Dec 13, 2012 |
  cavlibrary | Mar 13, 2012 |
This book is definitely for more mature readers. As it is telling the story of such a tragic and horrific event, the author writes the story so a child can better understand what the Holocaust was. I think it is important to include all of the terrible things to grasp the enormity of that event.
  mfwilson | Mar 28, 2011 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5759

This unique introduction to the Holocaust encourages young children to stand up for what they think is right, without waiting for others to join them.

For Ages 6 and up

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:20 -0400)

In this allegory, the author's reaction to the Holocaust, the animals of the forest are carried away, one type after another, by the Terrible Things, not realizing that if perhaps they would all stick together and not look the other way, such terrible things might not happen.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,800,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible