Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen by Luba…

Luba: The Angel of Bergen-Belsen

by Luba Tryszynska-Frederick

In the course of human history there seems to be a never ending event of one group trying to wipe out another group/groups who are different from them, either by color, religion, nationality, politics....

We have the Holocaust, Darfur, Rwanda, Armenia, The Civil War here and Nanking, to name a few atrocities, too awful to even imagine how anyone could survive a day under such torture, brutality, fear, starvation, etc.

This book is a child's book - probably suitable for a child of 7-10. It tells the story of Luba, a Polish woman taken from her home during the war and shipped to Bergen Belson with her husband and young son.

She hears the cries of children during one cold nite in the camp and when she goes outside to see what was going on, she discovered 54 Dutch children dumped there when the truck driver who was ordered to shoot them all, declined to do so, so he dumped them there in the snow and cold figuring they would starve and freeze to death.

This is the heroic story of Luba and her great heroic attempts to save 54 young lives, while hoping someone was doing the same for her missing child.

A ( )
  REINADECOPIAYPEGA | Jan 11, 2018 |
This is based on true events during WWII. What I enjoyed the most was seeing the pictures of the real Luba and her "children" at the end of the story. It's an inspiring one to say the least.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Oct 14, 2016 |
I liked this book because it showed being a hero can be risky but, it pays off in the end.
  Elisabeth_Reil | Jun 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this story. It was amazing how much risks and sacrifices she took to keep all of those children alive. I kept expecting this story to take a tragic turn, but it actually had a great ending. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this story. I have heard many stories of holocaust survivors, but never heard of Luba before reading this book. Her story is a great one. Luba and the other women in her bunk showed great bravery in taking care of 54 orphaned children that were supposed to be killed. Her story was beautifully told and was beautifully captured through soft oil and collage illustrations. A great book to share with young children. ( )
  AleciaDesselle | Jan 22, 2014 |

A biography of the Jewish heroine, Luba Tryszynska, who saved the lives of more than fifty Jewish children in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp during the winter of 1944/45.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible