America's White Table by Margot Theis Raven

America's White Table (edition 2005)

by Margot Theis Raven, Mike Benny (Illustrator)

205857,211 (4.45)None
Member:jonathan14
Title:America's White Table
Authors:Margot Theis Raven
Other authors:Mike Benny (Illustrator)
Info:Sleeping Bear Press (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Vietnam War, History, Living Differently, Veterans, POW MIA, Heroes, Hero, Fiction

America's White Table by Margot Theis Raven

A good story that explains the table that is set up in honor of MIA's and POWs ( )
  lmaddux | Dec 9, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this book, it took a different route than most other children books I have ever read which really impressed me. Instead of writing about a happy or unrealistic topic Margot Raven decided to write about a serious issue however, she wrote it in such a way that would enable a child to understand about POW's and what a MIA stands for. ( )
  jonathanjohnson | Sep 8, 2010 |
This book would be appropriate to read on around Veteran’s day. It’s a thought provoking book about the sacrifices soldiers have made for our country and it conveys the feeling of respect we should have for our veterans. The illustrations are beautiful. This book would be great to explain traditions, respect, symbolism, and war. This could be used with various age groups. Younger students will get the main ideas and older students will realize the deeper meaning of the book. ( )
  kmacneill | Dec 8, 2009 |
Another though provoking book and a big springboard into honoring our fallen soldiers and our survivors. The illustrations were beautiful, the symbolism along with the song really upheld tremendous respect for the military personnel. I would use this book to discuss the meaning of the Veteran's Day, and Memorial Day, honor, respect, code of conduct, traditions, US History, war, etc.... Also contains extras related to military and war consequences, POW MIA, etc.... A surface content read aloud for 2-4 grades and a deep study springboard for 4/5-8 grades. Author also wrote Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot. ( )
  awiltenburg | Nov 11, 2009 |
This is a very touching book that you could read to any age group. It teaches about the importance to recognize our veterans and to rememeber the onew who never came home and might still be alive today. It would be a good book to read around November 11 (Veteran's Day). ( )
  jamieh | Sep 15, 2009 |

Three children set a special white table in memory of service members fallen or missing in action, and especially in honor of their Uncle Jim, a POW in Vietnam.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,010,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible