The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer

The Sea of Trolls (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Nancy Farmer

Title:The Sea of Trolls
Authors:Nancy Farmer (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 459 pages
Tags:Bards and bardism, Fiction, Norse Mythology, Saxons, Vikings

The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (2004)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
Fantasy ( )
  mjsbooks | Aug 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this. Nice job combining the mythology and history of the region; good, strong characters; and the reader brought distinctness to each part. Full of good lessons, too, without being preachy. ( )
  Vinculus | Jul 20, 2016 |
An interesting story ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I just found out this is first of a trilogy. Well I sure hope it doesn't end in a cliffhanger. I like getting introduced to worlds and characters, not going on adventure after adventure with them.

Finished. Gosh this is not my type of book at all, but it was just so good I'm glad I read it. Kudos to Farmer. Ironically, my 14 yo son, who has enjoyed two other books by Farmer and who loves adventure (for example Percy Jackson) did not even finish this. The characters here I thought were extra-rich, so maybe that made the difference for me.

We both think this would be excellent for teen reluctant readers.

It definitely did not end on a cliffhanger. Eventually I'll probably read the others, but I feel no rush to do so. I'll probably read them only to be completist about Farmer's entire output, but read all her stand-alones first. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
great! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |

Nancy Farmerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

To Harold, as always, for finding Mimir's Well
Jack woke before dawn and listened to the cold February wind lash the walls of the house.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689867468, Paperback)

Three time Newbery honor author Nancy Farmer's epic fantasy, The Sea of Trolls, is gigantic in every way. There are big Vikings and bigger trolls. There are big themes--hope, despair, life and death. At a substantial 450+ pages, the sheer size of this hefty tome is impressive. But, like all of Farmer's fine work, the large scale has room for enormous quantities of heart and humor. At the center of this massive adventure is a small Saxon boy named Jack, who's never been much good at anything until the Bard of his medieval village makes him an apprentice. Then, just as Jack is learning to tap into and control his power, he is kidnapped (along with his little sister, Lucy) and taken to the court of King Ivar the Boneless and his half troll queen Frith. When one of Jack's amateur spells causes the evil queen's beautiful hair to fall out, he is forced to undertake a dangerous quest across the Sea of Trolls to make things right, or suffer the consequences--the sacrifice of his beloved sister to Frith's patron goddess, Freya. Along the way Jack faces everything from giant golden troll-bears to man-eating spiders, yet each frightening encounter brings wisdom and understanding to the budding young Bard. No quester who enters these pages with Jack will go away unsatisfied. Farmer's skillful melding of history, mythology, and humor, is reminiscent of both Tamora Pierce and Terry Pratchett's medieval fantasies, and will no doubt be HUGELY enjoyed by fantasy readers of all ages. --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:47 -0400)

After Jack becomes apprenticed to a Druid bard, he and his little sister Lucy are captured by Viking Berserkers and taken to the home of King Ivar the Boneless and his half-troll queen, leading Jack to undertake a vital quest to Jotunheim, home of the trolls.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,843,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible