The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner (Author)

Series: Queen's Thief (1)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

I dunno. It was creative, but for some reason I just didn't feel enchanted by it. I haven't decided whether to finish the series. It's more political intrigue, less character development, than I like. And I'm obviously missing something that the Newbery committee saw.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
This book is drastically different from the rest of the series, especially in tone. On its own, this book seems like any other fantastical YA adventure novel with a mouthy male protagonist. It's really great, and the reveal is awesome. But it's so different!
  meghanas | Mar 21, 2015 |
Beginning was fairly slow and uneventful but once the action started it really took off and the ending was quite good. More review to follow soon. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
A re-read, in preparation for the fourth book. I read this for the first time in a period of great distraction and have always felt I didn't get the chance to fully appreciate it.

This time around I really did enjoy it more. In particular, knowing about certain events at the end made the re-read particularly fun. Love the voice, the world, the characterizations, and the plotting. All-around wonderful book!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible