The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (1)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are closely inspired by a mythology and a geography. But both books are also highly original and the first in a series of similar books.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner is a YA Fantasy book that begins her Queen’s Thief series. The story opens with Gen languishing in prison until the King of Sounis’ advisor, the Magus, pulls him out and has him on the road with himself, two of his pupils and a guard. They are on a quest to steal an ancient treasure that will be put to good use in a plot to extend the kingdom of Sounis at the expense of the neighbouring ones of Attolia and Eddis.

This is a good enough quest-style book that relies heavily on it’s characters to draw the reader in. For the most part this worked for me as Gen, as the main character and narrator was quick witted, humorous and a little unreliable. The rest had their roles pretty well set from the beginning, the wise councillor, Magus, the two assistants, one being sullen and given to jealous sulks, the other, younger and friendlier. The guard, Pol, is experienced and sober. As they travel along the characters exchange stories and legends which helps to set the background of the story.

I found this book a pleasant diversion but it was the nice twist at the end that encourages me to continue on with the series. The stage has been set and I am interested in what happens next. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 23, 2017 |
RGG: A hero's quest with an un-herolike main character, an entertaining thief. References to invasion, conquest, and gods infers an ancient empire and mythology. The plot seems a bit thin with the repetition of escape and capture. Reading Interest: 12-14.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 18, 2017 |
January 1, 2012

I enjoyed the medieval Greece-like setting, the stories of the gods, the elaborate heist, as well as the real politic of the international situation. A really good adventure story with characters that gradually are revealed to us. My only complaint was that it was pretty much devoid of female characters until the very end. I have high hopes for the rest of the series.

I forgot to mention that I haven't read better descriptions of someone learning to ride since [b:The Horse and His Boy|84119|The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388210968s/84119.jpg|3294501].

Library copy.

June 4, 2015

I will only add that in fact the rest of the series does include multiple female characters. And I loved this at least as much on the second reading as the first. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I will do a short review....Well I liked the book...I liked the storyline of the book. The twist at the end was not I was expecting...frankly I kind of figured out that "useless senior" will betray the group, but I had no idea about the identity of Gen.
The only thing that stopped me giving it 5 stars is that I hate first person narrations. I do not find them to do justice to the plot.

But this is definitely a worth read.... ( )
  razzzat | Oct 3, 2016 |
I dunno. It was creative, but for some reason I just didn't feel enchanted by it. I haven't decided whether to finish the series. It's more political intrigue, less character development, than I like. And I'm obviously missing something that the Newbery committee saw.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

196 wanted4 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible