The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner (Author)

Series: Queen's Thief (1)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

Great option for boys. It had a good amount of adventure mixed in with some mythology that will be familiar to readers but presented in fresh way. Romance is present, but you are not hit over the head with it. Ending is excellent. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
decent piece - a little rushed on structure but only slightly - definitely intended for a YA audience - nice and clean - for the target audience 80% - for me 65% ( )
  jason9292 | May 30, 2014 |
Interesting Greece-like setting, complete with polytheistic religion. Appealing characters—protagonist Gen is mischievous, sassy, but also kind-hearted. Intriguing opening (prison), with a slower steady pacing until about halfway through when the action really starts. Enjoyable. BUT

My one big criticism has to do with the reveal/twist. He’s composing this story in first person past tense, and yet he leaves out details so that there can be a twist/reveal at the end. Do people really tell stories that way? I don’t think so. As you’re thinking and processing information in your head, you think about your plans and who you really are. It doesn’t make sense to think as someone you're not. Contrived and artificial. She should’ve written it from a different perspective if she wanted the twist. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Mar 28, 2014 |
This is what any good adventure novel should be - exciting with a pleasing twist in the end. I particularly enjoyed the bit of supernatural that occurred when Gen goes into the heart of his gods and their temple. Can't wait to read the next volume! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 7, 2014 |
I'm not going to do a full review of this one, but I have heard many times that the rest of the series is even better than The Thief, so I'll be continuing and reviewing later books! The Thief felt very much like a set-up/world-building book to prep for the rest of the series, which was what I had heard it would be as well. I like Gen and I enjoyed the twist at the end, but I found myself a little bored through most of The Thief. I'm excited to read the rest of the series though :D. ( )
  anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,631,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible