The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Member:stephmo
Title:The Thief
Authors:Megan Whalen Turner
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st Edition 2nd Prtg, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:listsofbests to get
Tags:unowned, listsofbests, readingrants

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (Author) (1996)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are closely inspired by a mythology and a geography. But both books are also highly original and the first in a series of similar books.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

Upon reflection, Gen might not have made the smartest move by bragging about his thieving prowess in every wine shop in Sounis, then stealing the king's signet ring and showing it off afterward. He has plenty of time for reflection in the king's dungeon. Unexpectedly, the Magus, advisor to the king, is the one who gets Gen out of jail -- he needs Gen to steal something for him, and it will indeed take the best thief in the world to accomplish the job...

I first read this Newbery Honor book years ago, but it's the sort of book that sticks with you (well, and I've read it a few times since then, too). This book boasts great characters and more than one twist of plot -- and it almost seems like a spoiler to even mention that there are plot twists, because they are so delightfully unexpected. And, while this is an excellent book, the series increases in excellence as it goes on -- but do start here! I'm rereading, having recently read the newest entry in the series, and am already finding mention of things that come together later on. If sometimes I say things are "recommended" or "highly recommended," this is a step beyond that. This series carries my highest recommendations. ( )
  foggidawn | Jun 5, 2017 |
A thief taken out of prison, a magus, a couple of apprentices, a soldier, a king and two queens, and a journey to steal something precious.
A book in which the story is just a fabulously clever and wonderful as the eponymous character, and which is even better the second time round. Gosh, but I love this series. ( )
  scaifea | May 30, 2017 |
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner is a YA Fantasy book that begins her Queen’s Thief series. The story opens with Gen languishing in prison until the King of Sounis’ advisor, the Magus, pulls him out and has him on the road with himself, two of his pupils and a guard. They are on a quest to steal an ancient treasure that will be put to good use in a plot to extend the kingdom of Sounis at the expense of the neighbouring ones of Attolia and Eddis.

This is a good enough quest-style book that relies heavily on it’s characters to draw the reader in. For the most part this worked for me as Gen, as the main character and narrator was quick witted, humorous and a little unreliable. The rest had their roles pretty well set from the beginning, the wise councillor, Magus, the two assistants, one being sullen and given to jealous sulks, the other, younger and friendlier. The guard, Pol, is experienced and sober. As they travel along the characters exchange stories and legends which helps to set the background of the story.

I found this book a pleasant diversion but it was the nice twist at the end that encourages me to continue on with the series. The stage has been set and I am interested in what happens next. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 23, 2017 |
RGG: A hero's quest with an un-herolike main character, an entertaining thief. References to invasion, conquest, and gods infers an ancient empire and mythology. The plot seems a bit thin with the repetition of escape and capture. Reading Interest: 12-14.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 18, 2017 |
January 1, 2012

I enjoyed the medieval Greece-like setting, the stories of the gods, the elaborate heist, as well as the real politic of the international situation. A really good adventure story with characters that gradually are revealed to us. My only complaint was that it was pretty much devoid of female characters until the very end. I have high hopes for the rest of the series.

I forgot to mention that I haven't read better descriptions of someone learning to ride since [b:The Horse and His Boy|84119|The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388210968s/84119.jpg|3294501].

Library copy.

June 4, 2015

I will only add that in fact the rest of the series does include multiple female characters. And I loved this at least as much on the second reading as the first. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible