The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Thief
Authors:Megan Whalen Turner
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st Edition 2nd Prtg, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:My Library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Children's/YA Fiction

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (Author) (1996)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

I bought this book based on nothing but a recommendation from a member of a book group I am in. She said, "Hands down, this is my favorite series. Ever." Well, with that kind of recommendation, how could I not? I got about 3/4 of the way through it before I understood why she was raving. It's good. But the beginning is slow, the main characters are, quite frankly, unlikeable, and the plot isn't clear. It's the ending that you need to hang in for. Once I got there, I knew I would be reading book 2. And from what I hear, book 2 is better than book 1.

In the interest of not spoiling too much of the story, I will keep my description brief. Gen is released from prison by the Magus to retrieve an ancient treasure. Gen is a skilled thief, and joins the Magus and his band of merry men on the quest, and with rotting in prison as the alternative, why not? Gen turns out to be as skilled a thief as his reputation states, and begins to earn a small bit of respect from the Magus by the end. Obstacles and treachery are at every turn, and it's a pretty good read if you enjoy YA fantasy worlds. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Great option for boys. It had a good amount of adventure mixed in with some mythology that will be familiar to readers but presented in fresh way. Romance is present, but you are not hit over the head with it. Ending is excellent. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
decent piece - a little rushed on structure but only slightly - definitely intended for a YA audience - nice and clean - for the target audience 80% - for me 65% ( )
  jason9292 | May 30, 2014 |
Interesting Greece-like setting, complete with polytheistic religion. Appealing characters—protagonist Gen is mischievous, sassy, but also kind-hearted. Intriguing opening (prison), with a slower steady pacing until about halfway through when the action really starts. Enjoyable. BUT

My one big criticism has to do with the reveal/twist. He’s composing this story in first person past tense, and yet he leaves out details so that there can be a twist/reveal at the end. Do people really tell stories that way? I don’t think so. As you’re thinking and processing information in your head, you think about your plans and who you really are. It doesn’t make sense to think as someone you're not. Contrived and artificial. She should’ve written it from a different perspective if she wanted the twist. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Mar 28, 2014 |
This is what any good adventure novel should be - exciting with a pleasing twist in the end. I particularly enjoyed the bit of supernatural that occurred when Gen goes into the heart of his gods and their temple. Can't wait to read the next volume! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 7, 2014 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,432,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible