The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Megan Whalen Turner

2,4641282,494 ()328
Member:wisewoman
Title:The Thief
Authors:Megan Whalen Turner
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: 1st Edition 2nd Prtg, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:My Library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Children's/YA Fiction

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (Author) (1996)

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

Beginning was fairly slow and uneventful but once the action started it really took off and the ending was quite good. More review to follow soon. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
A re-read, in preparation for the fourth book. I read this for the first time in a period of great distraction and have always felt I didn't get the chance to fully appreciate it.

This time around I really did enjoy it more. In particular, knowing about certain events at the end made the re-read particularly fun. Love the voice, the world, the characterizations, and the plotting. All-around wonderful book!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I bought this book based on nothing but a recommendation from a member of a book group I am in. She said, "Hands down, this is my favorite series. Ever." Well, with that kind of recommendation, how could I not? I got about 3/4 of the way through it before I understood why she was raving. It's good. But the beginning is slow, the main characters are, quite frankly, unlikeable, and the plot isn't clear. It's the ending that you need to hang in for. Once I got there, I knew I would be reading book 2. And from what I hear, book 2 is better than book 1.

In the interest of not spoiling too much of the story, I will keep my description brief. Gen is released from prison by the Magus to retrieve an ancient treasure. Gen is a skilled thief, and joins the Magus and his band of merry men on the quest, and with rotting in prison as the alternative, why not? Gen turns out to be as skilled a thief as his reputation states, and begins to earn a small bit of respect from the Magus by the end. Obstacles and treachery are at every turn, and it's a pretty good read if you enjoy YA fantasy worlds. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Great option for boys. It had a good amount of adventure mixed in with some mythology that will be familiar to readers but presented in fresh way. Romance is present, but you are not hit over the head with it. Ending is excellent. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
decent piece - a little rushed on structure but only slightly - definitely intended for a YA audience - nice and clean - for the target audience 80% - for me 65% ( )
  jason9292 | May 30, 2014 |

Turner, Megan WhalenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sandy Passarelli
I didn't know how long I had been in the king's prison.

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:45 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,675,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible