The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Title:The Thief
Authors:Megan Whalen Turner
Info:Greenwillow Books (1996), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Recently added byprivate library, ElleGato, rena75, awwebbgen, tldegray, Ely.sium, koharteh, ashleytylerjohn
    The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (notemily)
    The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner (mak_mohn)
    The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (gluestick)
    gluestick: Boys who come up with ingenious plans and incredible plot twists.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (bell7)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (quigui)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (bwebb22)
    The Raven Ring by Patricia C. Wrede (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (gluestick)
    The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Although one is Greece-esque fantasy and the other is a Roman-era mystery, both share scrappy, compelling characters in the form of Gen and Marcus Didius Falco.
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (gluestick)
    The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similarities: interesting characters, no romance, politics. I recommend the Eugene Woodbury translations.
    The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan (gluestick)
    gluestick: Tale of two thieves.First book is great.
    Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey (Nikkles, gluestick)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are closely inspired by a mythology and a geography. But both books are also highly original and the first in a series of similar books.
    The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron (gluestick)
    gluestick: Another charming,ingenious,mischievous thief with a secret agenda and an inflated sense of his own worth.Could be Gen's long lost twin brother.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two unusual protagonists who rely on their tongue, wit and ingenuity to get themselves out of tight scrapes.
    Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: Arithon and Gen are very similar in approach, all about complex plans kept close to the vest.

I had very little expectation going in, and it won me over very quickly. This is a textbook example of how to create character in the best way possible (I've read too many books where the inhabitants differ in name only), yet without labelling or telling, it's so skillful.

The plot is pared down to its essentials--so great to read something so streamlined and perfect--and then she delivers a masterful, unpredicted turn-of-events near the end--it's just exquisite writing, from conception, character development, plot pacing, sentence structure, dialogue--I bow down.

Complete unexpected treasure. (Thanks, Goodreads.com's recommendation engine, for recommending this one!)

(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = quite good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. There are a lot of 4s and 3s in the world!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I've always enjoyed stories that found inspirations in mythology or fairy tales and this is one of them. There is humor, action, adventure and I just kept turning the pages to find out what will happen next. It's time I buy the second book and see what new adventures await Eugenides! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book and I liked how it turned out in the end. Even though it's a short book (when I finished I was surprised that's all there was), the majority of the book is the journey and that was a bit tedious. I also felt like the end could have been longer. There could have been more explanation as to what happened and what was going to happen. It just kinda skimmed over everything.

I don't know if it's because I've been reading so many books lately where the protagonist is a girl or it's the writing, but for the longest time I kept thinking of Gen as a girl, even though I knew he wasn't.

I've heard good things about the other books so I'll probably them a try. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
Just like Gen the thief, this book really sneaks up on you. (See what I did there?) It starts slow, but by the last quarter of the book I was biting my nails and wondering how it was going to end. I love the fusion of fantasy, mythology, and adventure. And Gen, as insolent as can be, is a great character. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
A weirdly excellent book. I generally really dislike books where manipulators are featured - but somehow, in this one, it works. _Everyone_ is a manipulator - it was pretty obvious Gen had deeper plans, almost from the start, but I underestimated him. The magus, of course - though I wonder if he made it any easier to steal the king's seal? Probably not, that would actually work against his plans. Various rulers, not too surprisingly, also had plans - and everyone in the party had secrets. The traitor really surprised me, I didn't pick up on what Gen did at all. I like Sophos, and I almost like Pol - I don't know enough about him to really know, he's very much the strong silent type. I very much _disliked_ the magus at the beginning, but his reaction when he was outmaneuvered redeemed him in my eyes. The story itself is fascinating - both the action and the setting. The manipulations of the beginning and the politics of the middle got a bit annoying - but I still needed to know where the story went, and by the end I was enjoying it very much. I know a bit about ancient Greece and knew that's not where it was, but the author's afterword explaining how she'd taken things off on a different angle from reality very much helped. The afterword also gave me a large collection of book bullets - from her list, I know and love about half, so I need to look up all the rest of them...And I'm delighted to learn that there are sequels. Gimme! ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Jul 11, 2018 |

Turner, Megan Whalenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"There is something I want you to steal. Do this for me, and I'll see that you don't go back to prison. Fail to do this for me, and I will still make sure that you don't go back to prison."

The king's magus needs a skilful thief. Incarcerated for stealing from the king himself, Gen is the just the pawn the magus is looking for. Cocky, brash and extremely uncooperative, Gen is press-ganged into an unlikely band of travellers and marched through Sounis, into hostile Attolia.

Concealed in Attolia is an object of such power it can make or break a king - but even stolen treasure has it's price.

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

Gen flaunts his ingenuity as a thief and relishes the adventure which takes him to a remote temple of the gods where he will attempt to steal a precious stone.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,986,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible