The Town Cat and Other Tales by Lloyd…

The Town Cat and Other Tales (original 1977; edition 1977)

by Lloyd Alexander (Author)

Member:Ms.Cerda
Title:The Town Cat and Other Tales
Authors:Lloyd Alexander (Author)
Info:Dutton Juvenile (1977), Edition: 1st, 126 pages

The Town Cats and Other Tales by Lloyd Alexander (1977)

This is a collection of folktales, written by the author, centers around clever cats and silly humans, who learn the moral lessons from the cats! There is nothing original about these tales - they read very much like most folktales about talking animals and humans, predictable but amusing. If you enjoy folktales or cats, this anthology would be perfect for you. In particular, children might enjoy these stories. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 27, 2018 |
I had previously read and enjoyed a number of Lloyd Alexander's other books, so when I saw a copy of The Town Cats and Other Tales at a book sale, I thought I would give it a try. I was not disappointed. This is a collection of eight thoroughly charming and witty tales, all of which feature cats. And not just any cats, but clever cats who can talk, play chess, paint portraits, throw parties, and generally outwit any humans foolish enough to cross their paths. All of the stories are set in vaguely European countries in what appears to be a vaguely Renaissance era, and they have the feel of folk tales or fables.

Although this book is marketed primarily as a children's book, the human characters are generally all adults, and the stories are all classic tales that should appeal to anyone of any age - anyone who likes cats, that is. The cats are, of course, the stars of this book, and although they are anthropomorphized to some extent, they still retain that essential, if somewhat frustrating (to humans), quality of true "cat-ness", giving their undivided loyalty to some, causing trouble in other cases, but always getting their own way in the end. And, as Alexander reminds us in the final tale of the book, simply being a cat is "already a quite remarkable achievement."

These would be great stories to read aloud to your child (or to your cat, if you don't mind giving your cat ideas!), or by yourself. I highly recommend The Town Cats and Other Tales. I am happy that I came across it, and I look forward to re-reading these stories in years to come. ( )
  Heather39 | Nov 9, 2012 |
Eight tales featuring cats, princesses, fiddlers, cobblers, and kings. ( )
  cmbohn | May 2, 2007 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kubinyi, LaszloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For cat-keepers, and others wise enough to laugh at themselves
Valdoro was the smallest town in the farthest corner of the Kingdom of Mondragone.

Eight tales featuring cats, princesses, fiddlers, cobblers, and kings.

Eight tales featuring cats, princesses, fiddlers, cobblers, and kings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible