Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

Time Cat (1963)

by Lloyd Alexander

Fun but a bit repetitive. The place, time and people change with each visit by Jason and his cat, but the moral lessons are pretty similar and not that subtly conveyed. Still good as a light read-aloud story for bedtime, though, and it did inspire us to do a little historical research. Who knew there was a legend about the Manx cat coming from the Spanish Armada? ( )
  bostonian71 | Apr 13, 2014 |
Rather disappointing; inferior to the Prydain series. Nice concept that a boy is taken by his cat to visit 9 different past time from ancient Egypt to Colonial America, but the stories are rather repetitious. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 28, 2013 |
3.5 stars

Jason has a black cat (Gareth), who Jason discovers can time travel! Gareth can travel to different times and places and decides to take Jason along with him to a few different places. Along the way, Jason (and the people they visit in the various times and places) learns a little bit about cat behaviour.

I enjoyed it. I will admit that I've been quite distracted while reading some parts of it, so I did lose concentration (and miss things) occasionally. I really did enjoy the parts I paid more attention to, though. It's a little bit like short stories, as each time/place had about two chapters apiece before they moved on. It was originally published in 1963, but my edition was published in 2003 and included a short, but interesting author's note. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 23, 2013 |
In Time Cat, Gareth, the cat does have 9 lives and his owner, Jason, gets to visit every one of them. It was an ok story, a little predictable - definitely not as good as Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three series. It's most redeeming quality was that Gareth and Jason visit many different places throughout history - ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, the American colonies, etc. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Cats. Magic. Ancient Egypt to 1775 America. This book sent us to look at the world map more than once, to learn a bit about DaVinci (who reminded Z of himself because of his love of bugs) and we're still talking through "was it real or a dream"? ( )
  beckydj | Mar 31, 2013 |

Lloyd Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keith, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sokol, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sokol, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the kittens and grand-kittens of Tiger, Flo - and Gisele
--L.A.
Gareth was a black cat with orange eyes.

AR 4.7, 5 Pts

Gareth's definitely no ordinary cat. For one thing, he can talk. For another, he's got the power to travel through time. And the instant he tells this to Jason, the two of them are in ancient Egypt, on the first of nine amazing adventures that Jason will never forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:11 -0400)

Jason and his magic cat Gareth travel through time to visit countries all over the world during different periods of history.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible